Suspension Clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

MobyDick

2004 Expedition Eddie Bauer.
Vehicle has developed a clunk, mostly from the driver's side front, noticeable at low speed. Can hear it when you are at low speed on a washboard road, or driving over an irregular patch on the road, ocassionally feeling it in teh steering wheel. Sounds like maybe a sway bar end link? I had these replaced on my 1998 Explorer. The dealer examined it and found nothing wrong. With that said, they rarely take the time to road test anything to duplicate it.

Any suggestions/advice? Thanks.

JoeExpedition

Reaction score
Hi.

I have the same problem with my 1998 XLT.

Can you let me know if you have since found the cause of the problem.

Since my truck's lower ball joints are new and the sway-bar links look good, I am guessing its the upper balljoints or the shocks some how...

Please let me know.

JoeExpedition

Reaction score
Ok - Great news...the soft/gentle suspension clunk has been solved.

It was not solved by me - but by a very smart mechanic at a Ford dealer.

The night before, I checked the ball joints myself, and peered at the motor mounts and looked at the sway bar...all seemed fine.

He immediately diagnosed it as broken sway bar links. When I heard of that diagnosis, I did not believe it - they looked absolutely fine to me when I looked at them the night before.

Well, he was right. I seriously doubt many others would have detected it.

So if your expedition develops a soft (not harsh) clunk over a washboard road or irregular road surface, you may want to have the sway bar links changed out - they do not cost too much either.