Suspension problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew2001exp

Reaction score
My 2001 exp (Eddie Bauer) rides super rough, but occasionally it rides like something kicked back on, and started working because it rides 100 %smoother. My suspension light goes on and off, but I can't find the problem. Please help?!

larkja

Reaction score
2000 Expy EB - basically the same as yours.

Primarily three components:
1. Air compressor under the hood by the window squirter reservoir,
2. Solenoids,
3. Air bags.

I had some sag in my rear and ordered all the parts to replace the bags - bad decision. Could never track down why the bags wouldn't inflate. The compressor turned on, but no air to the bags.

Took everything out and installed a spring conversion kit from Monroe. Cost was around $400 from O'Reily's. Shocks were easy. The rear springs require compressors. Passenger side, no problems. Driver's side is a different story because of the fuel tank.

Highly recommend doing to coilover conversion. Read this - https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/air-suspension.15692/ - then post questions as needed.

Good luck