Suspension Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

C420sailor

Reaction score
Follow up, as promised.

The non-air ride control arms work perfectly in an air ride truck with the air suspension system removed. Geometry is identical, parts bolt up well. Of note, the Moog lower control arms are just a hair big for the OEM torsion bars---you can hear a slight rattle over certain bumps. Not the end of the world, but if you want silence, pay more for the Motorcraft lower arms.

Speaking of torsion arms, mine were stuck in there after 21 New York winters. I tried just about everything, and ended up using an angle grinder and **** wheel to surgically cut the old control arms away from them. It worked, but it was a long process. Had to torch out the rear upper control arms too. The bolts were seized in the bushings. Corrosion is a horrible thing.

I used Monroe 37145 rear shocks (listed as '4WD w/o Four Corner Air Leveling System') and Monroe 58518 coil-over front shocks ('66 Bronco) in the front. I won't comment on the ride, other than saying that it rides acceptably---not too tight, not too floaty. The only gotcha with the 58518s is that the coil covers the full length of the shock---and comes very very very close to the CV axle boots and perch for the LCA bumpers. Not sure if they'll eventually chafe---time will tell. So far, so good.

Used the existing coil springs that were in there from the Monroe conversion kit that was installed years ago. They're still in good shape.

Everything else was pretty straight forward. Let me know if y'all have any questions.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See, I hated my Bilstein. Ride was like a worn out pair of 100k shocks, hot or cold. I never have luck with shocks though, I think a leprechaun rides underneath my Suv, just to mess me. Only shocks even close for me were OEM Ford ones. Weren't easy to find 4, but all the rest sucked you know what!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

highlandre

Reaction score
See, I hated my Bilstein. Ride was like a worn out pair of 100k shocks, hot or cold. I never have luck with shocks though, I think a leprechaun rides underneath my Suv, just to mess me. Only shocks even close for me were OEM Ford ones. Weren't easy to find 4, but all the rest sucked you know what!

I had the Bilstein 5100s on my F250 and I hate them as well. I ended up putting a set of Zone Offroad shocks on it and I liked them a whole lot better.

http://zoneoffroad.com/product-shocks?ma=7&mo=134&ye=1998 . These are the ones for our truck.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know why everybody rants about how good Bilsteins are . They used to be OEM shocks/struts on German cars. I think mine were the 4600. Maybe because my 2000 has a solid back axle, and torsion bar front suspension. I gave them close to 1,000 miles, but they seemed to get worse. It was embarrassing as I was using the SUV for an Uber/Lyft livery vehicle. It rode like I was going over railroad tracks. I switched all 4 to Ford OEM shocks, not Motorcraft, and it was like a new SUV ride again.