Suspension upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alright boys, I got myself a 97 Eddie Bauer that the previous owner thankfully riped out the air ride.

I got a 2.5" Daystar rear coil spacer which I'm pretty sure just accounted for the lost height from coil sag... Kinda a let down, I then got under to crank the torsion keys all the way and managed to get exactly 3/4 of an inch lift... It sits perfectly level...

So I have a parts F150, I'm ripping the torsion bars out of it (sits nice and high), thinking about some aftermarket keys depending on how fused they are to the torsion bars. And a local shop will make custom coils to whatever height I want.

Let's talk shocks, are there any good shocks in that space? As the stock ones are long toast and already max out from that 3/4" lift and the rough life this truck has. As it will only go higher, I do not want to buy stock ones I'll trash.

Are the 7700/f250 shocks longer/stiffer? It would make sense for them to be.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Aftermarket keys just allow you to twist the torsion bars farther. Which might not be a great idea. I've seen some snapped torsion bars on Explorers.

Aren't the Daystar spacers polyurethane? There might be a little bit of squish in those. Supreme Suspension has aluminum spacers. But may not worth the cost/effort to swap them out.

Shocks- I like Rancho or Bilstein.

If you can find a set of 7700 torsion bars, get those. They are unicorns, but very desirable if you are going to get a bumper or winch.

OP
OP
SnuffThePunkz

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Aftermarket keys just allow you to twist the torsion bars farther. Which might not be a great idea. I've seen some snapped torsion bars on Explorers.

Aren't the Daystar spacers polyurethane? There might be a little bit of squish in those. Supreme Suspension has aluminum spacers. But may not worth the cost/effort to swap them out.

Shocks- I like Rancho or Bilstein.

If you can find a set of 7700 torsion bars, get those. They are unicorns, but very desirable if you are going to get a bumper or winch.

Yeah, technically turning the keys pre-loads the suspension much like the spacer leveling kits on modern vehicles. I've lifted and leveled more trucks than I can remember (Former suspension guy at a truck accessory shop). I'm not overly concerned with the pre-load as the type of trails I'd be taking this rig it's more about clearance than articulation. My ole 92 F-250HD goes anywhere and it has whatever the equivalent of less than whatever 0% flex would be. lol.

The biggest issue is of course the CV angle, back when I was doing my head gaskets I spent a lot of time under the truck looking at shit, and I don't see a reason why the front axle can't be dropped like 2" or so to correct the angles. I used to drop diff's all the time on the 3" Tacoma lifts that I did, they are designed similarly up front. Just gotta keep the driveshaft angle happy.

They are poly, I got them dirt cheap back when I was working in the truck accessory shop, damn near at cost. It was simply to get rid of the massive sag the back of the expy had whenever you looked at it the wrong way. Long term is to buy a 4" RCX F-150 lift kit, then have 4" over coils built, they are almost cheaper than a spacer kit to have made. Weld on bracket supports much like the RCD kit has to strengthen it. Then turn it into a 6" down the road (When the wife relents to my nagging) with the daystar spacer I have fab up some longer trailing arms to keep the axle centered, and eliminate the awful stock arm limitations on down travel, and key turning (Which is what the 6" kit is, a 4" + 2" T-key turn).

I've installed more 5100 Bilstein's than the average guy will ever see in their lifetime so I am bias to them, unfortunately there is not one designed for these rig's unless you have the 5" RCD kit. Now I'm sure I could make my old boss hate me and give him the measurements and make him find me something, but I was just wondering if after the level there was a popular shock the guys around liked.

OP
OP
SnuffThePunkz

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Follow up question, anyone know what actual difference there is between the 2wd and 4wd rear shocks is?

daddio211

Reaction score
Been searching for this very information, hoping you can elaborate some. I just picked up a '98 EB with rear air ride and want to lift it 3" in front (torsion keys) and 2" in back.

It looks like I have to swap out the bags for coils first, then run a spacer, but it seems that everyone says the spacer just compensates for the difference in height when switching to coils. Is this to say that if I did the coil only the back would be 2" lower than stock already?

My bags and compressor work fine (this is my 3rd Expedition so I'm familiar with the headaches) so I'd just as soon keep them but need a few more inches of clearance. Can you give me some insight?

LAexpy

Reaction score
This is an old thread, but I'm also looking at the 5100s. There's a REAR 5100 shock for a 3" lifted 97-02 Expedition, but it's specified for RWD coil sprung suspensions. I know the front shocks on a 4WD and RWD are different, but is the rear the same?

Also, there is FRONT 5100 for a 0-2" lifted F-150 4WD. I hear a lot of ppl say that most parts on Expy and F150s are interchangeable, is this true for these shocks?

BTW - I'll be lifting the front 2-3" using new keys, and the rear 2-3" using Supreme Suspension coil spacers or using 3" lift coils (may see if HD Suburban springs work).

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought the 5100’s for my Expedition 4x4 and found out they only fit the 2 WD because the eyes don’t line up the same as 4x4

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I personally crank the torsion keys up on the front of my after ripping out air suspension installed brand new coil springs in the back with 2 inch Daystar spacers and brand new Ranchos 4” for a total lift of 6” all the way around

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni