Swap ATT Sim Card

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This might have been discussed, but I couldn't find it.
Is there any way to swap out the ATT Sim card in the 4th Gen? ATT gets crappy services in my area, but Verizon does pretty well. I have a feeling it's soldered to the board, but figured I would ask.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why not get Verizon WiFi device for automobiles? That way you can make calls, or surf the web, via WiFi signal without modding your vehicle. Use AT&T in the good areas, and Verizon when the other doesn’t work. WiFi calls are a feature on iPhone’s. Not 100% sure about the other brands.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why not get Verizon WiFi device for automobiles? That way you can make calls, or surf the web, via WiFi signal without modding your vehicle. Use AT&T in the good areas, and Verizon when the other doesn’t work. WiFi calls are a feature on iPhone’s. Not 100% sure about the other brands.
Better yet, why does the vehicle manufacturer not let you use your cell phone data via WiFi since most people will have a cell phone and change out their cell phones more often than cars.

OP
OP
R

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I might look into it, if they enabled a sim card swap that would be much easier, assuming the radio could support the other bands. I didn't know if that was possible, but figured it might be an option as they do ship some of these overseas.

Better yet, why does the vehicle manufacturer not let you use your cell phone data via WiFi since most people will have a cell phone and change out their cell phones more often than cars.

yea, my phone turns into a hotspot, so I might wind up using that. The main benefit to the built-in car ones is that the antenna is outside the cabin and also slightly more sensitive than a phone's, plus you get better wifi coverage distance outside the vehicle.

There are a few videos and posts that show how to use a verizon hotspot wired into a weboost, it essentially gives you wifi coverage with a much stronger cellphone signal. Then you use calls over wifi for connectivity.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I might look into it, if they enabled a sim card swap that would be much easier, assuming the radio could support the other bands. I didn't know if that was possible, but figured it might be an option as they do ship some of these overseas.

yea, my phone turns into a hotspot, so I might wind up using that. The main benefit to the built-in car ones is that the antenna is outside the cabin and also slightly more sensitive than a phone's, plus you get better wifi coverage distance outside the vehicle.

There are a few videos and posts that show how to use a verizon hotspot wired into a weboost, it essentially gives you wifi coverage with a much stronger cellphone signal. Then you use calls over wifi for connectivity.
If anything, they should allow you to dual SIM and the ability to aggregate data from more than 1 cell phone provider.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
People, it is pretty simple and straight forward. I thought my previous answer was good enough.

1) It can't be changed. It is basically an AT&T E-SIMM hardcoded in the APIM.
2) Ford has a partnership with AT&T. That partnership makes it REALLY easy to set the service up.

If you don't like AT&T or the Service is bad in your area, don't turn it on, and use the Hotspot feature on your phone.

I have it on in my vehicle, so my laptop connects to it. Works great. Not the fastest, but does what I need it to do.

OP
OP
R

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
People, it is pretty simple and straight forward. I thought my previous answer was good enough.

1) It can't be changed. It is basically an AT&T E-SIMM hardcoded in the APIM.
2) Ford has a partnership with AT&T. That partnership makes it REALLY easy to set the service up.

If you don't like AT&T or the Service is bad in your area, don't turn it on, and use the Hotspot feature on your phone.

I have it on in my vehicle, so my laptop connects to it. Works great. Not the fastest, but does what I need it to do.

Yup, answered my question. Not changeable.

I’ll look for an alternate solution for my WiFi needs.

Mxer0022

Reaction score
So my cell service is Verizon but I'm glad that my trucks service is through AT&T because I've noticed that there are areas where AT&T gets better service than Verizon so I have more service everywhere with wifi calling.