Swapping 4.10s into '23?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a '23 Limited stealth (Not SPP). Is it possible to swap in 4.10s and reprogram the ECU? I also have the eLSD. Would it interfere with it?

I'd love it if it got off the line better.

What else would get screwed up other than a little hit to fuel mileage?
Anyone swapped to higher (numerically) gears in their 4th gen?

Thanks

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have tow package it comes with 3.73 gears.

I have not heard of anyone here swapping gears.

OP
OP
J

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do have the tow package and the 3.73s. It's just that this 400hp truck is lazier than I'd like off the line. 4.10s seemed like an easy bet since the previous gen navigator had them as an option.
Out of the hole, my 2011 (with 3.31s) will get the jump on my 23 until things get rolling.

Mostly curious considering it would cost me about $1500-2000 to have it done.

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My bet is that your dash will look like a Christmas tree with error messages popping up. Todays vehicles dont like things out of kilter. It wants the speed and RPMs to be what they are from the factory.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are looking for more get up and go a tune is the easiest way to achieve that. When I was still under warranty I would flash back to stock and it's amazing how much slower stock was.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If its 4x4 you need to do the front drive as well. Theres no way I can imagine you getting this done cheap.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do have the tow package and the 3.73s. It's just that this 400hp truck is lazier than I'd like off the line. 4.10s seemed like an easy bet since the previous gen navigator had them as an option.
Out of the hole, my 2011 (with 3.31s) will get the jump on my 23 until things get rolling.

Mostly curious considering it would cost me about $1500-2000 to have it done.
The 5.4 3V had more off idle grunt than any current half ton engine from Ford from 500-1,500 rpm. It’s that 4.2” piston stroke, lots of leverage on the crankshaft. That’s what you feel immediately out of the gate, but anything over 1,500 and the ecoboost torque surges way above the 5.4L. Are you running 91 octane?

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can't beat the bang for the buck of a good tune on these things and if you want to spend more you can get an intercooler and a few other goodies to increase the flow with the tuner and really have a screamer. Going from 3.73 to 4.10 won't make a big difference and if it is possible, you are looking at easily 2-3k for gears alone. It will probably require special programming for it.

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Forscan can adjust for gearing and speedometer, but for acceleration can't beat a tune for bang for buck.