Swap ATT Sim Card

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What do you plan to use the most with the wifi? Do you need 4g or 5g speeds and will you be in areas that typically offer 5g whether it be low, C band, or mmWave? What's the budget? The Mifi8800 from Verizon has TS9 ports for an external antenna setup but it is only LTE. The InSeeGo M2100 is a Sub6/mmWave 5g hotspot but lacks external antenna connectivity and would need to rely on a booster like WeBoost or SureCall. Depending on phone plan you're on they can be quite cheap, anywhere from $10 a month to $80 depending on data allowance.

8800 with a compact 8dbi external antenna setup would probably run $300. The M2100 would be closer to $900-1k including a booster setup but theoretically could give you wired speeds in the right areas. I routinely see them pull 6-700Mbit on an UW signal.

Phone as a hotspot does work but it's fairly taxing on it, performance isnt as good unless you have a flagship level device that supports 5Ghz and wifi6, they tend to get warm, especially if you're also using said phone for anything else and your battery life will drop quickly so you'll find yourself keeping it plugged in and running the hotspot which is also not the best thing to do on a regular basis if you want battery longevity.

OP
OP
R

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What do you plan to use the most with the wifi? Do you need 4g or 5g speeds and will you be in areas that typically offer 5g whether it be low, C band, or mmWave? What's the budget? The Mifi8800 from Verizon has TS9 ports for an external antenna setup but it is only LTE. The InSeeGo M2100 is a Sub6/mmWave 5g hotspot but lacks external antenna connectivity and would need to rely on a booster like WeBoost or SureCall. Depending on phone plan you're on they can be quite cheap, anywhere from $10 a month to $80 depending on data allowance.

8800 with a compact 8dbi external antenna setup would probably run $300. The M2100 would be closer to $900-1k including a booster setup but theoretically could give you wired speeds in the right areas. I routinely see them pull 6-700Mbit on an UW signal.

Phone as a hotspot does work but it's fairly taxing on it, performance isnt as good unless you have a flagship level device that supports 5Ghz and wifi6, they tend to get warm, especially if you're also using said phone for anything else and your battery life will drop quickly so you'll find yourself keeping it plugged in and running the hotspot which is also not the best thing to do on a regular basis if you want battery longevity.

Thanks for the insight on all this. Good call with the phone hotspot.
I will probably look into the mifi8800, I don't need anything crazy fast, mostly the kids ipads maybe a laptop to check email/or a video call, LTE should work for that. The wider coverage is more important to me.