Swapping out the 12 V cigar lighter power on dash for 12v/ 110v plug combo like on the F 150

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Hoover

Reaction score
I have the 2018 Expedition. On the dash is the 12 volt “cigar lighter” style outlet with cover. My buddy got a 2018 F 150. In the same spot on the dash he has a 12v/ 110 V outlet combo with cover.
I’d like to see if I can swap out mine for this “combo” set up like the F 150 has. It seems to take up the same amount of real estate, so I’d figure it would be a simple swap, depending on the wire harness behind the dash.
Has anyone done this?
Also, I am well aware of the 110v outlet on the back of the center console. I just like the option of having one up on the dash as well.

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
That's interesting. What is the power output of the 110V outlet in the F-150? Hopefully not 150W...

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's interesting. What is the power output of the 110V outlet in the F-150? Hopefully not 150W...
The F150 is 450 watts if I remember correctly... it’s a lot more than what we get in the expy/Navi I’m sure.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The F150 is 450 watts if I remember correctly... it’s a lot more than what we get in the expy/Navi I’m sure.

Its worse than that. 400 watts while parked. Output, for whatever reason, is reduced to 300 while in drive.

For most this is fine, but for the money, aftermarket is the route, especially for people who work out of their vehicles.

Edit -- this has been talked about on a few F150 forums I follow-- the dash applique and cabling is the easy part, there is a large plastic box that houses the OEM inverter that lives under the front passenger seat in the F150. Getting that installed is fairly involved, making more powerful, less expensive and simplier aftermarket much more attractive. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: