Swollen Lug Nuts - Recommended Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did he send pictures? I've never heard of swollen lug Nuts.
It looks like you live in Nevada? I’m guessing you don’t get a lot of winter salt, there.

The ford lug nuts have a stainless (?) tight fitting covering over the lug nut. Except it is not that tight. Moisture and salt get under it which then corrodes the nut like crazy, causing the stainless outer to swell up. You then have problems. First getting a lug wrench/socket on the nut, and even if you do, the excessive corrosion can cause the nut to just round off under the cap.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It looks like you live in Nevada? I’m guessing you don’t get a lot of winter salt, there.

The ford lug nuts have a stainless (?) tight fitting covering over the lug nut. Except it is not that tight. Moisture and salt get under it which then corrodes the nut like crazy, causing the stainless outer to swell up. You then have problems. First getting a lug wrench/socket on the nut, and even if you do, the excessive corrosion can cause the nut to just round off under the cap.
Live near Lake Tahoe. 32 IN. is normal here. I see how they can swell, I just never heard of it before. Now I have.

Scadu

Reaction score
Just had my 2017 Limited lug nuts changed, same situation routine service and they noticed a very common problem. I'm in Florida, no snow, etc. so it is a "thing". Went with a solid one, not the current design, factory specs, etc. The price you got quoted $50.00, if it's for all 4 wheels, good price from a dealership.

tacoduck

Reaction score
“Ford tough” my arse. Lug nuts are a wear item? Terrible. Had the same issue on my 2016 expo.

Rtfd406

Reaction score
I replace mine with Gorilla lug nuts as well. Have on my last three vehicles after had some factory nuts swell and had a heck of a time getting them off.

LexpeditionKy

Reaction score
I had the Ford dealer install solid Dorman lug nuts on 2012 XLT model with stock aluminum wheels. They are a perfect fit and holding up well.

Arlin

Reaction score
Recommend the Gorilla solid aftermarket lug nuts as they have the correct length 60 degree seat, are the correct overall length. correct color, etc. The Gorillas are often about $50-60 for 24 on eBay. The Gorillas held the 150 ft/lbs torque spec on the first go--- an early McGard from Summit Racing (the available model then had a too short 60 degree seat) set had to be rechecked 2-3 times. My 2015 Expedition 4X4 got new full sets at 11 and 34K under basic Ford factory warranty. Wonder about $50 Ford dealer lug nuts as they can easily run $11-13 per each times 24, plus sales tax--often push $300 out of a Ford parts window here in Tennessee. My first set of regular chrome solid Gorilla's have begun to have superficial rust after about 55K that I suspect will polish off easily enough--otherwise full performance. Still unclear the cause of such early Ford lug nut failure--for sure rust did not happen in 11K. Besides the Ford cheapo design, the culprits seem to be the impact wrenches and heat from the brake rotors. Even the class action lawsuits on the subject don't seem to pin down exact cause(s)? Have owned six new Expeditions. (BTW, had a personal email from a Gorilla national sales manager on this subject--very helpful getting the correct model for my 15 Expedition.)