SYNC audio, sound and GPS issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turner

Reaction score
2022 Expedition Max Platinum 10k miles. When driving the SYNC screen (large) flicked and the Audio and Sound features went dead and the GPS is showing the wrong location (~50 miles off). Audio and Sound Icons are shaded grey on the touch screen, not responsive to touch. As a result I cannot operate the radio or hear any sound from the system or Car Play (music, podcast, etc), cannot hear any audio when I make a phone call while connected via bluetooth. I did a master reset to the system and repaired the phone, no change. The amplifier fuse (#4) is fine. Any suggestions? My local dealer is 3 weeks out on service, ugh. Appreciated!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If the touch screen is not responsive, how did you do a master reset?

Are you saying you did a reboot of Sync using the Steering wheel controls?

OP
OP
T

Turner

Reaction score
Touch screen and other functions are working ok after the screen glitched for a minute. The Audio and Sound controls are not functioning at all and the GPS is not accurate. I did a master reset using the touch screen.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Press and hold both the Volume Down and Seek Right buttons on the steering wheel controls for 10 seconds.

That will reboot the APIM. Do it 2 times in a row. Let it come back up all the way the first time, before you do it the 2nd time. See if that resolves it.

Otherwise, Park, shut the vehicle down, get out, close door, Lock vehicle. Wait 5 minutes, unlock, and start vehicle back up, issue resolved.

If not technically the next step is to disconnect the battery.

If that doesn't work, dealer visit.

OP
OP
T

Turner

Reaction score
No luck after down volume/seek right reset. Reverted to same state. No luck after shutdown/lock/wait 5 min.

Next step is cut power with battery disconnect and reconnect? Any special considerations with this?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No luck after down volume/seek right reset. Reverted to same state. No luck after shutdown/lock/wait 5 min.

Next step is cut power with battery disconnect and reconnect? Any special considerations with this?
Just the normal. Going to lose presets...and be careful.

-Ray

OP
OP
T

Turner

Reaction score
I disconnected the battery for 5 min then reconnected. No change. SYNC radio and sound still not working and GPS is still ~50 mi off.

Thanks for the suggestions.....

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I disconnected the battery for 5 min then reconnected. No change. SYNC radio and sound still not working and GPS is still ~50 mi off.

Thanks for the suggestions.....
Looks like a dealer visit is in your future.

It was all worth a try.

Tyra

Reaction score
2022 Expedition Max Platinum 10k miles. When driving the SYNC screen (large) flicked and the Audio and Sound features went dead and the GPS is showing the wrong location (~50 miles off). Audio and Sound Icons are shaded grey on the touch screen, not responsive to touch. As a result I cannot operate the radio or hear any sound from the system or Car Play (music, podcast, etc), cannot hear any audio when I make a phone call while connected via bluetooth. I did a master reset to the system and repaired the phone, no change. The amplifier fuse (#4) is fine. Any suggestions? My local dealer is 3 weeks out on service, ugh. Appreciated!
I had this same exact issue with my 2020 for Explorer. It made about 8 trips to the dealer for repairs before I just decided to trade it in. Every time they fixed it, it would go out again within a month or so. They changed the radio, then the sound module in the rear corner at least 3 times. They consulted with ford service techs several times, had the ford field tech out to try and repair. Changed wire harness another time. Every time no matter what they did it would keep going out. The last time I brought it in about 1 month before it was to be traded in they found a water leak back by the module, changed it again. I traded it in before it went out again so not sure if that fixed it or not. I hope you don’t have as many issues as I did. The radio / Nav was out more than it worked. Probably would have kept that vehicle had I not gone through all that, I had enough. I will say Im happier now with my expedition so it turned out for the best I guess!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni