SYNC can check for Wi-Fi update message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bones

Reaction score
When I purchased the new 2018 Expy last year I didn't elect to use or subscribed to the on-board WIFI option. All was fine until was month it went to the dealer for SYNC cell bluetooth connectivity issues. The techs did software updates (which I found later that didn't fix the problem). After I left the dealer now ever time I start the Expy the following message is first displayed on the SYNC screen, "SNNC can check for updates when connected to a Wi-Fi network. View networks or close" I have to select the "close" option to have it disappear.
I have gone into the settings and turned off anything about Wi-Fi but it still is displaying at start up.
My Wi-Fi on my android Verizon phone is on.

Any suggestions to have that message not displayed on the SYNC screen would be appreciated.

Foghorn

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, that only has to do with the Sync update and not the on-board Hotspot. When you are home just allow Sync to connect to your home WiFi. This allows Sync to pull updates through your home broadband connection.(Map and software updates for the SYNC system.) Once it has a home connection I believe this will go away. If I'm incorrect let me know.

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
This behavior started after a recent update and I too wish there was a way to stop that message. I have looked through the settings and can't find anything specific to disable it. Hopefully Ford changes this on a subsequent update.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I purchased the new 2018 Expy last year I didn't elect to use or subscribed to the on-board WIFI option. All was fine until was month it went to the dealer for SYNC cell bluetooth connectivity issues. The techs did software updates (which I found later that didn't fix the problem). After I left the dealer now ever time I start the Expy the following message is first displayed on the SYNC screen, "SNNC can check for updates when connected to a Wi-Fi network. View networks or close" I have to select the "close" option to have it disappear.
I have gone into the settings and turned off anything about Wi-Fi but it still is displaying at start up.
My Wi-Fi on my android Verizon phone is on.

Any suggestions to have that message not displayed on the SYNC screen would be appreciated.

Mine does the same every time I start up and I’m hooked to my house Wifi....we need a fix...

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You also need to turn off Automatic Updates.
Settings
General
Automatic System Updates

From this menu, you can enable automatic updates. If you have not done so
already, the system prompts you to set up a Wi-Fi connection when you enable this feature.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're welcome. A lot of people do not understand the system. The vehicle has its own system to connect to the internet, but it will need to be added to or have its own ATT account. The vehicle will then have its own hotspot. The WiFi is to connect to a network, whether it is to your phones mobile hot spot or home or public network(not recommended). If you turn on WiFi and have it connect to your home network and then turn on automatic updates the vehicle and I believe Sync and Navigation will update on its own. I will usually turn on WiFi and Automatic Updates about every six months and then let the system update, and then turn them off after a couple of days.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're welcome. A lot of people do not understand the system. The vehicle has its own system to connect to the internet, but it will need to be added to or have its own ATT account. The vehicle will then have its own hotspot. The WiFi is to connect to a network, whether it is to your phones mobile hot spot or home or public network(not recommended). If you turn on WiFi and have it connect to your home network and then turn on automatic updates the vehicle and I believe Sync and Navigation will update on its own. I will usually turn on WiFi and Automatic Updates about every six months and then let the system update, and then turn them off after a couple of days.

Thanks U.....I have the data plan and after I connected to my home WiFi it did an update and now the window does no show at startup. It may if there’s another update to download....thanks again Uturn......

Oklahoma Jim

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I turned my auto update on this evening. It tried for a while and generated a message that the update failed. I tried it a couple of times with the same result. Anyone else having the same issue?

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I may be a bit jaded, but I always have this same result and I think that's their normal "No update available" message (i.e. they show update failed instead of no update available)...

Occasionally I will see the "last update check" date change so I think it's actually working. I should track the version number of sync3 and see if it ever changes...