SYNC Update?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAngryOgre

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On 10/18, got a message via my FordPass iOS app that was a SYNC software upgrade. Currently, I have 3.4 Build 21194 on my head unit and ran the software update process. It didn’t find an update to download.

Is there a updated build? Thanks.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On 10/18, got a message via my FordPass iOS app that was a SYNC software upgrade. Currently, I have 3.4 Build 21194 on my head unit and ran the software update process. It didn’t find an update to download.

Is there a updated build? Thanks.
There was a small update after the major 21194 release. It was a Nav VR update I believe. The version did not change. Still 21194. I got it though OTA (wifi). Make sure you have a solid connection and try again.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There was a small update after the major 21194 release. It was a Nav VR update I believe. The version did not change. Still 21194. I got it though OTA (wifi). Make sure you have a solid connection and try again.
Nailed it!!!

DJAucutt

Reaction score
2018 Expe Max Limited (55k): I bought a Sync 3.0 Map Upgrade through the Ford website. It is a thumb drive that is supposed to be installed using the front USB ports, which I assume are data only. The thumb drive shows a blue light for about one second, then nothing happens. I took the vehicle in for the cam phaser re-flash and asked the dealer to install the map upgrade. He came back and said the MEDIA MODULE was bad. I have searched for a media module to no avail. What is it and how do I replace it?

Lawrence T-D

Reaction score
2018 Expe Max Limited (55k): I bought a Sync 3.0 Map Upgrade through the Ford website. It is a thumb drive that is supposed to be installed using the front USB ports, which I assume are data only. The thumb drive shows a blue light for about one second, then nothing happens. I took the vehicle in for the cam phaser re-flash and asked the dealer to install the map upgrade. He came back and said the MEDIA MODULE was bad. I have searched for a media module to no avail. What is it and how do I replace it?
The front USB ports are not just for data. I play my MP3s on them from my thumb drives. Have you tried that to see if they show up as media sources when in the Audio screen. Also try one of the USB sockets In the rear seats

DJAucutt

Reaction score
I have charged my phone using the rear USBs and that works fine. I also have charged my phone on the charging pad; works fine. I cannot use the front USBs to charge my phone. That is why I suspected that the front USBs were data only. Upon reading the instructions that came with my SYNC 3.0 Map upgrade, it says to use one of the USBs, not specifically the front USBs. With the front USB, the thumb drive blinks blue for a second, then nothing. Just now I tried one of the rear USBs. The blue light came on and stayed on. However, there was no response from the SYNC screen. So the thumb drive appears to be operational, but it cannot reach the map software. To answer your question, I did not see any indication of a media source on the Audio screen after plugging in the thumb drive. That must be why the dealer said the Media Module is bad. Now I'm back to my original question about what is a Media Module? I suppose taking it to a local stereo shop may be more cost effective that working through the dealership.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The media module is the front module that contains the 2 USB ports. Based on what you have stated above, it is dead. It is easily replaced, just need to buy a new one and watch some YouTube videos. It pops out with the proper force, and typically has 2 cables attached on the back, power and Data. FYI the front ports are for charging and Data, and provide the exact same power as the other USB ports.

DJAucutt

Reaction score
Loki, thanks for responding. I will search appropriate YouTube videos. As an update, after trying the install the map update and apparently failing, I removed the thumb drive and returned it to the case that Ford sent me. Now I repeatedly get a message on the screen asking me to please remove the thumb drive. The message has a close button, which I automatically press, and the message disappears.....for a while. After about 3 or 4 repeats, the message stays off.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Loki, thanks for responding. I will search appropriate YouTube videos. As an update, after trying the install the map update and apparently failing, I removed the thumb drive and returned it to the case that Ford sent me. Now I repeatedly get a message on the screen asking me to please remove the thumb drive. The message has a close button, which I automatically press, and the message disappears.....for a while. After about 3 or 4 repeats, the message stays off.
Have you tried a reboot? Press the power button and next track hard Buttons below the radio. Screen should go black. Do that. After it comes back up, do it again. Basically 2 reboots in a row. See if that removes the message.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The media module is the front module that contains the 2 USB ports. Based on what you have stated above, it is dead. It is easily replaced, just need to buy a new one and watch some YouTube videos. It pops out with the proper force, and typically has 2 cables attached on the back, power and Data. FYI the front ports are for charging and Data, and provide the exact same power as the other USB ports.
Hey Loki (and all), on the issue with the front USB ports. Apparently mine is now dead. Just got my vehicle back from service Thur so it's interesting timing. But regardless, the led trim rings still work but neither port is now working, and I even swapped the USB module with the old one (I swapped the two usb-a ports for one with a and c). Neither work, so it tells me it's the USB bus itself. Is there a central module somewhere in the car? The back ports work fine, but neither of the front ones do. Assuming all of the ports in the vehicle probably connect back to central module that maybe I can disconnect and reset? Or are there fuses for the various outlets? How frustrating, just had to get the back glass replaced (flimsy defroster connections), the rear wiper motor, and have them reattach the flimsy $1200 rear taillight that was already replaced but loose. Now this?

Last edited: