Synthetic oil weight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would simply suggest to those who "don't believe"....educate yourself....it is truly amazing what we DON'T know about a particular subject...until you really become educated in it.

I believe that the Flat Earth Society is still around for those really uneducated but I'm hoping most who can read this, will have at least moved past the whole Flat vs Round thing?

If not, enjoy believing exactly as you chose to believe...I'm not going to try to change your mind....it's not up to me.....is it?

jeff

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
again I never said it would hurt the motor.

reading comprehension is not your strong point

The use of the English language is not your strong suit

Why stress to someone they need to get that oil out ASAP and get the right oil in there? You're implying something bad will happen if he doesn't use 5w and youre wrong. Nothing bad will happen. You don't have to come right out and say something directly for people to decipher what you're implying. If you didn't think him using a different weight oil was going to negatively affect something then you wouldn't have said anything

Definition of finicky. 1 : extremely or excessively particular, exacting, or meticulous in taste or standards.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
boy oh boy

really man chill out. I stand by what I said

don't jump out a window over it

Once again I never said it would hurt his motor

nice copy/paste on the definition, very smart of you

Last edited:

the bus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMO you are fine. The oil is a variable weight and with operating temps it will be the correct. Now if you used a non detergent straight weight 30 from the dollar store would be a different case. Check the oil level regularly and just do your next oil change at 5k. Relax!!. You got great oil in there!!.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Slightly OT, but regarding filters...would one of the more upgraded Fram filters, like the Extra Guard or Ultra Guard, work OK for supplying oil on cold starts?

EdWeg

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Expedition XLT (at 162,000 and that's considered average; so, your's is low) with the same engine and have used the recommended 5w20 from day one without any problems, changing between 5-6k intervals. Mobil 1 has been recommended as being the best product overall, and hasn't let me down. Follow the manual, as they've worked all of this out long ago.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slightly OT, but regarding filters...would one of the more upgraded Fram filters, like the Extra Guard or Ultra Guard, work OK for supplying oil on cold starts?

The better fram filters are well.... better yes. They have silicone valves and better media in their synthetic filters. Internet bullies can come at me all day long I dish it out just as bad if not worse than what comes at me.

My advice is to avoid Fram ExtraGuard and ToughGuard.