Tailgate button sticking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

fishrising

Reaction score
Guess I’ll leave my cargo mat out for next Monday when mine goes in for them to look at this.

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So sorry to keep beating this topic to death, but has anyone who had this problem that took it to the dealer to be fixed know if they just replaced the switch and if it's been working ever since or not?
Reason I ask is my dealer is small and has only sold I think 4 or 5 of these, and 3 were in the past 3 months (when I bought mine) so they don't have a lot of experience with them.
Thanks in advance!

(It's starting to really piss the wife off with getting the dogs in and out so guess I better get it fixed! :) )

Mothnuts

Reaction score
Ours is doing the same thing as well. It just comes and goes when it works...kind of like our sunroof shade that opens on its own. ‍♂️ Haven’t been back to the dealer for awhile tho. The dealer is an hour away, and it’s same as traded off for a new one anyway.

mhExped

Reaction score
My 2018 Limited had the same issue (stuck/sticking lift gate button - the one you press to close an already open lift gate). Dealer fixed under warranty, been working as normal for about 1 week thus far.

TKGracy

Reaction score
Ours started sticking again within a couple weeks of it being replaced. Will have it looked at again at the next oil change.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interestingly, if you press the "ridge" right around the button (the right side) right after you hit the button, it usually works. If your button is already 'stuck' then you might have to push the side first to get it to pop up, then hit the button, then hit the ridge again. 80% of the time works every time!

I think it has nothing to do with the switch, but more with its mounting.

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tailgate button replaced, all works perfect now!

c35ae06f88cf5afd6956426d70002b93.jpg

I can never get the handsfree to work! I kept trying in the driveway (luckily I was backed in so the neighbourhood didn't see me doing the hokey pokey with my Expy)! Tried the "straight kick in" , the "wanderer" , the "low and slow" , even the "backside donkey kick" ! Damn thing just doesn't want to work! Tried it on both sides, the middle, I have the tow package, so it shows on the side , but nothing! Every once and a while it would open, but when trying to replicate, never worked.

So my question, what is the TSB quoted on your work order? Thanks!

mhExped

Reaction score

StealthyBulldog may be on to something there...

I note in the repair notes from when mine was fixed the tech stated, "...Removed switch from panel - operates as designed. Found trim panel cut wrong. Requires new interior liftgate trim panel. R+R panel. Operation checks okay. Cleared DTCS. Ran RGTM self test - pass."

Jace

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interestingly, if you press the "ridge" right around the button (the right side) right after you hit the button, it usually works. If your button is already 'stuck' then you might have to push the side first to get it to pop up, then hit the button, then hit the ridge again. 80% of the time works every time!

So I went it to try this and once I figured out where exactly to push it it almost works flawlessly!