Talk me into a 2020 Expedition-Need advice.answers/comments please..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Serpico1

Reaction score
Hi all,

Merry Christmas Eve to everyone.

I just bought a few months ago a 2020 army green TRD Pro 4runner. I absolutely love it.

But it is a little tight on space. My wife is a big gal and we find the 4runner a little tight. Don't get me wrong, its fine and its not that tight of a fit but we could def use a step up in terms of more room.

The primary reason for going into the expedition would be the larger space and more cargo space. It would definitely NOT be towing or needing the extra row of seats for kids.

I have driven the Tahoe/Yukon and did not like them. The Toyota Sequoia is a really old platform and I would not consider it.

The primary reason I bought 4runnner was I love the look of the army green and of course the capability of the TRD pro go anywhere or do anything SUV. I also love the durability meaning I can put 200,000 miles on that baby without even blinking an eye. Its made in Japan and the build quality id really incredible. Ans the resale value is very very strong.

So I have a few questions for you for the experts. This will be my first Ford vehicle.

If I did buy the 2020 expedition even though I am Florida I would buy the 4 Wheel Drive. XLT and I will try to get the off-road package FX4

I know pricing varies but should I be working to try to get around $1000 below invoice? Should I be around invoice?

As an FYI I would be trading my trd pro for the Expedition and this will take a little work but I think with the strong resale value of the TRD Pro, I should do ok. I have looked online and I know a 2020 XLT 4 wheel drive is about $57k, but I see them all over at like $51k. I figure if I want the FX4 package I will be around $60k MSRP and hope to get it at around $53-55k. Cars.com even had a few new one for $49k.

But aside from the price these are the questions I really need your help and guidance on:
Having confidence in this expedition long-term is my main concern. I usually keep SUV's 8 to 10 years and would probably do the same with this expedition.

If I maintain it well and take care of it will it last 200,000 miles? I know there’s been some articles written about the durability and sometimes it gets included in the list but I want to hear from you owners out there.

How is the build quality? And lastly I haven’t done much research on resale value? Once I decide to sell it hopefully in about 8 to 10 years and it has 150,000 to 200k miles on it will it still be worth something?

Lastly, driving advice as a daily driver. I know this baby is a big immense SUV, but is it hard to live with daily? Is it hard to park? I live in Gulf coast of Florida-open roads, lots of space, big parking lots and not tight small streets.

I thank you in advance for your detailed comments and thoughts and appreciate it very much. I really do need a push and would like to hear as much info from the group as possible. Thanks again!

Honorebel

Reaction score
I've had 5 of them...never had 1past 125k..so i cant vouch past that..In my opinion its the best big suv value for the money..and the TT ECO will jump anything else in the category from a standing start...My needs are simple..i need the room and i need to move quick..I'm satisfied...10spd shifts real smooth and real quick..I like the 1 touch feature to shift into 4wd..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For durability and reliability, def hit up the 2nd and 3rd gen threads as those guys have expys long term. The 4th gens are too new to give good reliabilty claims with and some still have new quirks. I had a 3rd gen nav from 100k to 150k b4 trade and loved it. No issues but bad window regulator, bad headlight ballast for hids and bad trap door for hvac.

As a daily, these trucks are mostly smooth and easy to handle. You wont have anything to worry about. Also, the 4th gens actually return good mpg for the size.

stricnine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Performance wise you’ll see a huge improvement. We test drove the TRD Pro and the Tahoe before getting the Expedition and neither of the two had enough balls to get out of their own way, they were both dogs performance wise. I say stay away from test driving the expedition, because if you do, you will HAVE to have it. Hahahahaha

I’m also a firm believer that if anything requires being talked into doing, you don’t want to do it in the first place ;)

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The primary reason for going into the expedition would be the larger space and more cargo space. It would definitely NOT be towing or needing the extra row of seats for kids.
No kids and no towing? The Expedition is the wrong vehicle for you! See, the Expedition makes a lot of compromises for kids and towing. Which is awesome, if you're like me with 4 kids and a travel trailer. But if you're not going to be doing either of those things, why make a bunch of compromises when you don't have to?

If I were you, I'd be looking to see if I could get a Raptor in your price range. If not, then I'd go look at 1/2 ton pickups with the little diesel engines in them. You said paint color. Go look at the available color palette of the Expedition: it's like 8 colors, but that includes two whites, black, gray and silver. Now go look at the available color palette for 1/2 ton pickup trucks. And then you said "larger space" for bigger people. Well, you can get your pickup truck with a bench seat if you really want to feel like you have a lot of room. And you said "more cargo room", well, go do the math on how much cargo space you get with an 8' bed and a cap. And you have the option to remove the cap if you ever need to carry something taller than will fit under the cap. And you said go anywhere. I don't know what this means for you (can mean "beach" can mean running nasty trails with the jeeps), but the Expedition has poor ground clearance, approach, departure and breakover angles. In it's class, it's pretty good, second only to the Land Cruiser, but that capability is seriously compromised for the sake of kids and towing. And it's a low volume vehicle that starts compromised, so aftermarket options to fix those issues are very few and far between. There are two lift kits available: a 3/2 spacer kit and a $5000+ suspension replacement kit. I am not aware of any aftermarket bumpers. I am not aware of any rock sliders, etc etc. If you go get yourself a half ton, there are whole catalogs of replacement bumpers, lift kits, rock rails, etc, etc.
For durability, well, you can get those little diesels in the 1/2 ton (with far better fuel economy than an Expedition with the 3.5L eco-or-boost, which is an awesome towing engine, but you're not towing).

If you absolutely have to have an SUV and can't afford the Land Cruiser, take your wife down and see if the Armada gives her enough room. In 2015 the Armada was replaced in the US by the Nissan Patrol, which has long been Nissan's answer to the Land Cruiser. They're made in Japan and intended for third world service. Out-of-the-box, the approach angle is horrible, but ARB makes a couple of really nice replacement bumpers (make sure you're looking at an international ARB site). Also out-of-the-box US Armadas do not come with a real LSD/rear locker. But those are available aftermarket. Price is lower than the Expedition, and there's a lot more after market support for mods and such, particularly if you're willing to work a little to source parts from overseas.

KJ-Idaho

Reaction score
Hmm.

first, i agree with the earlier comment on trading in your T4R trd pro. you would get at least $10,000 more by selling it outright. the dealer might make you think you were getting better numbers by fuzzing the dollars on the purchase side.

second, i was in a similar situation as you, but, with some additional needs. I pull a 4,000 lb (loaded) trailer in hilly country. i had already installed the Magnuson Supercharger in my T4R, so I thought i would have no problems on hills. wrong! even the extra HP and Torque was not enough. down to 2nd gear frequently on inclines with RPM screaming made me fear i would get down to 1st gear.

third, i considered a crew cab pickup, but, my wife prefers the look, utility, and ride of SUVs. so began our search.

Sequoia - out. old styling, engine tech, safety tech, stereo integration
Armada - out. odd styling, old engine tech
GM anything - out. I won’t touch GM after some issues I have had
Durango, Grand Cherokee - out. Tight passenger area, little storage.

Expedition ticked all of our boxes.

We do not expect to do rock climbing, beach running, trail riding, but, will see country/mountain gravel and dirt roads. have dogs, kids are grown so back seats and room for dogs and peeps is great.

independent suspension, especially the way ford has it dialed in the expedition make the expedition feel light, stable, and much more controllable than our T4R.

safety tech, 4WD options, Apple car play, Sync 3, all work well together.

weigh your options carefully. I though the LTD would be fine, especially with the Stealth option (loved the look). But, better boxes got ticked, and we decided on the platinum. A little more power and massaging seats pushed our final buttons.

relative to a truck: a truck’s back end will always have some jounce with no load. Something you won’t experience with Expy.

Happy shopping!

OP
OP
S

Serpico1

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for your thoughts and comments. I really appreciate everyone taking a few minutes to give me their thoughts.

To be honest looking at the numbers now it’s going to be difficult to make this work for me without laying out a bunch of money.

I agree with the comment about selling out right versus a dealer trade but let’s be honest that’s a lot of work and a pain. I would probably not go through that exercise if I had to sell it out right.

I have a feeling even with the dealer being generous I may only get 47 or 48k for my trd pro.

Then I would buy a 54k XLT and everyone’s happy but I would be down another 6 grand. I’ve already spent 56 on the TRD pro now for a grand total I would be paying around $62,000 for the expedition XLT that’s with the trade-in and the extra money that I would need to pay them.

Those numbers do not look attractive. Being honest from the start if I was buying The expedition for 54 I would be super happy with that deal but at these numbers above unfortunately do not appear that they are going to work for me.

Anyway once again thank you to the group for your comments and thoughts and everyone have a merry Christmas and the best for the new year.

Therabbittree

Reaction score
0 % for 72 months on xlts now. We bought one last week. Definately get hd tow and fx4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65