Testing 4x4 shift motor relay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
reefkrazy

reefkrazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP: Let me ask a stupid question at this point...Since you have power at the shift motor, does it shift in and out of 4wd?

No. which make me think that something else is not saying it's ok to go into 4x4.

OP
OP
reefkrazy

reefkrazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Solid state relays have no internal moving parts. So there's nothing to make the clicking noise. I used them at my last job to control high amp heating coils in the temp chambers.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

Got it. I opened it up and just saw a board and some diodes, heat sink and some black box thing.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should pick up the dvds with the Ford Service Info on them - not a bad investment. I've read through some of the steps they recommend at t/s your symptoms. It can be electrical or vac related so you should have them on hand to guide you.

B

bedrck46

Stamp Thanks for helping him out Been in Texas and haven't had much of a chance to get back to him.

OP
OP
reefkrazy

reefkrazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I appreciate all the help. I dont want to spend tons of money taking it to a shop. I also dont want to blindly buy parts.

OP
OP
reefkrazy

reefkrazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok one more question. If I unhook the wire harness from the shift motor and then turn the switch lights awd4 then 4x4h. Then I plug the harness back in then turn the switch then nothing......does this mean the shift motor is bad ? When I first bought the truck it worked. Then it stopped. Then worked. Then now nothing. Acted like it had a mind of it's own. Now with snow up here and no 4x4 = fun times :)

OP
OP
reefkrazy

reefkrazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update ; I took the dash apart all around the steering wheel. Removed the fuse box and disconnected the gem. No corrosion or water damage. It checked out. I did find a little corrosion on an electrical fitting in the engine bay where the air hose goes down to front differential. Cleaned it off and still no 4x4. Going to buck down and just change the shift motor. Hope it's it.

OP
OP
reefkrazy

reefkrazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have power to the shift motor. When the switch is turned. Nothing. But if I unplug it the dash lights indicators come on.

OP
OP
reefkrazy

reefkrazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok just put in new shift motor and vola.....it works. Thank you to all that helped.