Wont up shift, engine revs high, very hard shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whjunkin

Reaction score
I think my transmission went out. So this morning I went to leave the house. I don't pull heavy stuff with truck. Let me get that out of the way. My expedition is a 1998 4x4 with 5.4 with 4r1000 trans 199,937 miles. Went to pull out of the drive way and it would not shift out of first gear. When it did it felt like the front wheels came off the ground. Then as I started out of the neighborhood it would not shift out of 2nd gear. I turned around went back to house. I have connected my millennium 90pro and checked for codes in trans. No codes. Checked transmission fluid it is good. Truck just will not shift gears. Also I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not but when I was checking to make sure I was not stuck in 4low, it would not go back into 2wd. Truck has been in 4low last weekend. I kayak fish and carry on a small trailer and when I back into my yard I put in 4low to keep from damaging torque convertor and it is a small incline. I turned the truck off at 1 point and started up and drove and the 4low light was off. I am mechanically inclined but I draw the line at working on some stuff. There are professionals to handle certain things. Here is my question finally. Is my transmission shot? Is my transfer case locked in low gear? I have a trans/oil pressure test kit. What pressures should I see and at what points?I know this is long, any help would be very helpful

Edit.... I think I figured out my problem. The 4wd will not disengage. Can anyone share a real electrical break down of the circuit for the 4wd. When testing power at the switch there is no power. Is it a ground circuit? If it ends up being the motor on the transfer case is it requiring to de-pin the connector. If it is that's not a problem for me I have the ability to do so. I also read something about a shift relay under the dash . Is it marked? I did see some relays under there but the Haynes manual dosnt help at all. Thanks again

Edit #2. We'll I did more research on remove the transfer case motor. I was able to get the transfer case to rotate to 2H. I set up my phone to record the motor and it wouldn't move. I called around and found one. Only $126, alot better than original thought of being transmission. Well it took longer than should cause the new one had a the holes block for being able to install wiring. Being a electric forklift technician I had this. I got all fixed up and installed. Cranked truck and drove. Absolutely wonderful. Everything ran properly and the transfer case even shift better than it ever has now. So anyone else have any sort of issue as I had here you go. Started off with no lights on dash and won't change gears. Problem ended up being transfer case motor ceased up and locked in the 4L position. Anyone else have this issue and need assistance please contact me.

Last edited: