The capacity of the EL always amuses me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gregg Eshelman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The versatility of the extra room in the EL makes me wonder why Ford waited 71 years to produce a direct competitor to the Suburban, and along the way had their misguided overshoot on the Excursion that was so much larger than the Burb, without being much bigger inside.

Ford loyalists kept telling them "Make a truck *exactly the size* of the Suburban!" and Ford ignored until 2007.

My 07 EL has been used to move my sister's stuff, twice. Can cram a lot of furniture, clothes etc into one.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The versatility of the extra room in the EL makes me wonder why Ford waited 71 years to produce a direct competitor to the Suburban, and along the way had their misguided overshoot on the Excursion that was so much larger than the Burb, without being much bigger inside.

Ford loyalists kept telling them "Make a truck *exactly the size* of the Suburban!" and Ford ignored until 2007.

My 07 EL has been used to move my sister's stuff, twice. Can cram a lot of furniture, clothes etc into one.

The Excursion's problems was probably more timing than anything else.
Remember all the outrage when gas first shot way up? The activists were hating on large gas guzzling SUVS. They set fire to some sitting on the lots! No environmental impact there!!!

I don't think the Excursion is that much bigger that Suburban but it is bigger and either the V10 or the diesel was nicer than GMs powertrain.
The Excursions have all the power you need empty or really full.

I think the Excursion is about 2 inches wider in the floorpan too. Would have to look up exact specs but they can be misleading.
The inside of an SUV is not as simple to measure as a landscaping trailer.
The way they angle or bow or curve can make a big difference in usable width.
The published width is not what you always get.
I say this from a limousine conversion because the Excursion became the one to stretch if you wanted capacity and the most room.
The H2 Hummer was popular for looks but was too short for headroom and not quite as wide but close.
The Escalade was too narrow as was the Navigator.
When they maxed out passenger levels with face to face (or knee to knee) seating, there was little aisle between the long seats going down each side.
Some of the Hummers were terrible with the overlap and you had to maze through like a mouse to go to the front of vehicle.
The Escalades are always tighter and narrower inside.
The inside usable floor and wall width is what determined this and not the published outside width.

The Suburban has changed over the generations too and I doubt they were all the same size inside or out.
I liked the look of the square late 73-91 too but the inside of the was not very nice.
92-06 are prob my favorite look even though there are technically two generations in there.

I like the stance of a 2000 Expedition more than an Excursion due to shorter and taller look but they are not as capable as Excursion.
I think they were robbed by timing and maybe out marketed by others.
There is a cult-like following of owners who love them and want to always have a nice one..

Lorlainie

Reaction score
I love my 2010 EL. We bought it also for all the above reason too plus it tows our 24ft travel trailer with no problems. The only downside is my husband complains we don't drive his 2007 California Special Mustang Convertible as much as he wants. lol

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife and I frequently remark at how huge and comfy our '12 EL XLT is. We have 3 adult kids and 3 grand-kids and sometimes our offspring borrow this vehicle to take trips with their 2 kids and 2 dogs. We've move furniture up North for 3 families when my dad passed in '16 - it was packed full along with the U-haul. I tow a heavy boat to the FL Keys every year where we can't fill this thing up. Then, we sometimes travel distances (wife, self and dog) and remark how quiet and smooth it is. At over 75K miles, we are very pleased. I just put in a backup camera (and head unit, Maestro system for switches) because we've decided we're keeping it for a good while. If only the rear hatch aluminum would stop the bubbling....

OP
OP
S

schulzie

Reaction score
I'm happy we already have the rear view camera, it's great. I used to pull our 20' Monterey Montura all loaded out, no issues. Then I pulled a 6'x12' Uhaul trailed, stuffed, with the entire interior full, only the driver seat open, from Tupelo, MS to Orlando, FL 3 times in one month, no issues at all.
Same on the tailgate, it's growing.

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess the only good thing about this bubbling (oxidation) is that it's aluminum and at a glance does not have the same material loss rate nor quantity as iron products (good 'ol fashioned rust).

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess the only good thing about this bubbling (oxidation) is that it's aluminum and at a glance does not have the same material loss rate nor quantity as iron products (good 'ol fashioned rust).

It does spread a lot slower in many cases and doesn't rot thru.
Anyone have any ideas or had luck with stopping the spread of the bubbling on aluminum?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69