Theft Susceptibility -- and what to do about it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saltwater Soul

Reaction score
How susceptible are our 4th generation Expeditions to theft? Both break in to steal contents or break in and drive off.

I know that prior Expeditions, F150s, Superduty's, etc. had a aftermarket for theft deterrence devices like Jimmi' Jammers, etc. to address this.

Follow up question is what have you done to "harden" your vehicle against theft?

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Modern vehicles generally don’t go missing unless the key/keys are found in them or another key is made.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably depends on where you live.

In my neighborhood, we have a lot of transient people. They only "break" into the cars that are not locked. We very rarely have issues with people breaking windows to steal items. Most broken windows that we do have are done by juveniles and it is really more vandalism than theft.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's almost pointless to steal a new gen vehicle with it's location features. For our vehicles you can locate your Expedition on the Ford Pass app if anyone takes yours...

OP
OP
S

Saltwater Soul

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it is almost impossible not to leave a few valuable items in a vehicle from time to time. I think some thieves in Texas think that just about any truck like vehicle might have a firearm inside. Anybody do anything to keep their doors from being jimmied? Or do you just assume someone will break a window out if they want something.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sometimes when I go to the beach, I want to leave the proximity key inside the car. I’m guessing the key doesn’t mix well with salt water. If somebody were to break in, they could just start the car and drive off. I wrap the key in tin foil. It keeps the car from seeing it. They would have to find the key and unwrap it.

Dclr

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it is almost impossible not to leave a few valuable items in a vehicle from time to time. I think some thieves in Texas think that just about any truck like vehicle might have a firearm inside. Anybody do anything to keep their doors from being jimmied? Or do you just assume someone will break a window out if they want something.

Jimmied..I suspect you may be giving thieves too much credit.

Last truck I had they broke the rear door glass and climbed through the window to prevent setting off the door alarm and then pried out the nav/head unit.

My brother in law lived in an less than desirable area for a short time and used to intentionally leave his F-150 doors unlocked. Instead of checking the door handles, a DA thief pried his door open with a crow bar to find nothing but leaving my BIL with a helluva expensive aluminum door replacement.

As far as guns, I installed a Console Vault in my last truck..highly considering doing the same for my new rig.