Thin pink fluid under engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael McC

Reaction score
I'm confused here. This is on a 2016 4x4. I noticed a small pool of thin pink fluid under my car in garage, about 6" in diameter. At first I thought I had a transmission leak. It didn't leak again for a week, then I had probably a half cup on the floor...enough to run out to the side of the vehicle. Same fluid.

I removed my skid plate, and saw that it was coming from this transverse-mounted thing just in front of and below the front differential. (Front is to left in photo.)
IMG_9614.jpeg
What the heck is it? Thought maybe power steering fluid, but these don't have even have a steering fluid reservoir that I can find. Auto Zone tells me it's coolant, but pink?

Perhaps related, I have had a rhythmic rub in front hubs. Replaced the vacuum valve a few thousand miles ago with no improvement. Is this the hub actuator?

Transmission and engine are dry. 4x4 works. Thinking it is the electronic hub actuator but can't find how to diagnose or work on it.

Any help?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the transmission cooling lines above it for leaks, maybe it’s leaking on top of that thingy (whatever it is).

OP
OP
M

Michael McC

Reaction score
Thank you J. I tried to look further...will try again. Hub actuators are at the wheel, so that's not what that is.

grdsman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like coolant to me from where it’s coming from. Check your radiator....my guess is the fluid is pink. Could be tranny cooler, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The coolant in these things is a reddish pink...it's orange when it's brand new out of the bottle but when its been in use for a while it turns kinda red.

john2017

Reaction score
2017 4x2.... Had the same symptom first of this year. I thought it was fluid from the passenger side motor mount. Turned out to be engine coolant leak... they found the right side turbocharger coolant hose behind the turbo leaking. They had to remove the turbo to gain access.

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought I had a tranny leak also with that. Looks like it was crossover pipe gaskets and leaking down back side of engine.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ahhh....there is a big difference between water/coolant and trans oil....can you first tell us what is is? If you can't tell the difference by feel and smell, then sorry I'm done here.