thinking about getting OEM towing 2" hitch from Junk Yard... adding it to my 02

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xowner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am thinking to get a oem towing 2" hitch from the junk yard and installing it on my 2002 Expedition EB 4.6 rwd that already has the bumper tow ball.

I want the option to easily use different hitch ball sizes, maximize towing capacity, set height better, and use some 2" accessories (bike rack, etc.).

I thought too about the front tow hooks but..... I noticed my rwd EB package has the bottom front bumper covering the frame and the frame itself does not have the holes drilled for the front tow hooks.

So that leads me to wonder if my rear frame rails are different than say an 2000-2002 expedition (4x4 or other package set) that has the OEM 2" tow hitch. Now on my explorer, i had the bumper tow package but I added an aftermarket on and it was fine on the fit. I guess too, not only about the rear frame hole alignment, but also on the spare tire and that rear bumper area. My frame does appear to have the 8 holes in the rear frame already. From memory I think the tow wiring harness from the front to rear seems the same... and currently mine then connects to the 4 pin assembly at bumper. I do notice all factory ones I see at the junk yard have the circular 7 pin harness.

A few questions....
should the OEM hitch kit on my Expedition with no issues?
no interference with existing bumper tow set up?
4 mounting holes on each frame rail are same as ones with OEM 2"?
OK to reuse the bolts too?

any other thoughts?

thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Hit By Thunder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmmmmm, great questions. I would think the holes would already be there and there should be no interfence what so ever. I think the bolts being reused will be fine as long as they are not too rusty. I will look at mine tomorrow and see if there is through bolts or if its a nut plate inside the frame and the bolts go into those.

ya, its way safer towing than using the bumper and the receiver has way more options like you mentioned. Do you know what rear end gear ratio you have?

3:55 just read your signiture duh!!!! Lol

Last edited:
OP
OP

0xowner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, well I stripped off a hitch from a 98 Expedition XLT and that even had the bumper tow and ball on it... a few had been set up that way and I chose the one with less discoloration (er, least rust).

I did try to check it before and during removal, i.e. the bolt holes, to a quick paper pouch pattern I made from my frame holes.... all checked ok

bolts heads are 18 MM i guess and i found it easier to use my longer 3/8 the pittsburgh torque ratchet to get it off vs the 12 inch husky 1/2 ratchet... especially when laying on the ground !

the bolts all go through the hitch, frame, and into a ~4 inch bracket which has both tread fasteners for both bolts. the bolt threads appeared really great. The bolts do had a washer... Will check again if they have a stamp of the torque required.

found a few old floor mats to sit / lay on... made it a lot cleaner of a job at the junk yard.

ok so my steps were:
find a decent 1st generation expedition.... Don't know if it matters though
remove the trailer wiring mount
found stuff around junk yard to support the hitch in the middle and outwards
removed one side horizontal then opposite vertical.... repeat again.

got home during sunset and i cleaned up the hitch and spray down the 8 bolts and 4 brackets with brake clean.... the sprayed penetrating lube on the treads.....

much easier taking apart than installing...
a lot going back and forth on the install...
I begin installing during sunset and quickly realized that my frame had a lot of red Southwest dust everywhere.... maybe 1/32 or more... I really want a clean surface contact between the bolt head, hitch, frame, bracket.
I felt on this project I better keep it outside underneath rather than taking up space in garage as The lady inside the house may not like walking around another project :)
So really I left everything near torqued... got it in place but will need to revisit each of the bolt sets to prep the surface.... blow out the dust, spray down, blow out again... reinstall. I just dont want a weak link here when it comes to towing.
She may not know it yet, but a nice day cruiser is in the works :)

Will post again to see outline my clean up and button up !

Oh yea, i will comment more about wiring soon.... the 98 I pulled this off of, had the 7 pin .... but it had the towing package too which had maybe 3 wiring harnesses join underneath to finally terminate into the 7 at hitch. I will need to check how, if at all i may want to adjust my 4 pin to 7....

Last edited:
OP
OP

0xowner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well i just cleaned up the frame from the dust via the garden hose on jet spray....

got everything back into place and tightened up pretty well....

I looked for the torque specs online and found this link
OEM Trailer Hitch Torque Specs - F150online Forums

Seems some on my thoughts were right and perhaps I may redo the job again as I had not stripped on all the frame wax and I am re-using the bolts and brackets. But for the time being, this summer, I feel good about using the accessories like my bike rack. I wanted to torque it then paint the exposed areas... but thinking that'll come later now when I get new brackets and bolts.

the outline is:
Installation

Using brake cleaner, remove all frame wax from the trailer hitch and frame mating surfaces.
Position the trailer hitch to the vehicle frame and support or clamp in place.
CAUTION: Do not reuse hitch to frame fasteners. The bolts and nut plates used are intended as one-use fasteners.

Apply threadlock to the fasteners.
CAUTION: To avoid cross threading the bolts into the nut plates, start each bolt by hand.

CAUTION: Do not final tighten any bolts until all fasteners have been installed.

Hand start the hitch to frame fasteners.
NOTE: Fasteners must be tightened in a particular sequence beginning with the horizontal fasteners.

Tighten the fasteners.
Tighten the horizontal fasteners.
Tighten the vertical fasteners.
Remove the hitch supports and/or clamps.
Install the trailer lighting connector.
Apply anti-corrosion compound to all areas where frame wax was previously removed.
Lower the vehicle and if equipped, re-enable the air suspension.

Last edited: