Thinking of buying have Questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathanialson 08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thinking of buying a 2000 Ford Expedition for $1800 to go alongside my 08 Expy and make a Moab crawler out of but the Expy has 223k which has me worried a bit, what should I check for on this vehicle to make sure its a strong runner and has no issues before I buy it?

another Question, if I do buy it what rout should I go to put a strait axel conversion on it? I was thinking of pulling the front and rear axel off of a 97 Ford F350 whats your take?

picture of expy below
33945981.jpg

Last edited:

MUSKYMAN52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the oil type being used, that can actually tell you a lot sometimes, jack her up and check the lbj and ubjs by shaking the tires listen for any grinding sounds get her up as fast as you can for the transmission and to see if there is any hesitation as that can be sign of either a problem with the accelerator or the engine it seems to me like a lot of people dont do this but have someone start the truck for you and check if smokes blows out of the exhaust, make sure it aint black and if it is blue, how blue, how much and if it stops as soon as the engine warms up.

Vigilante

Reaction score
Just look at all the fluids too. Feel the hoses, look underneath at all the joints and bushings. If they all look like they were replaced then the owner was probably pretty good to the truck. Interior is an easy way too. People who don't care about their cars just trash the inside. Just look at carpet condition. If you're building an off roader its not like you care about it, but its a good clue as to if the owner was good to the car, and where the car has been. That sort of mileage is a lot better on the road than it is if its been jumping off of hills. lol