Third Cam Phaser

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mindini36

Reaction score
Do any of you have a tune on your truck? We are having the Cam phasers replaced obviously and also the timing chain is stretched. We got some performance part upgrades but the phasers are the supposedly “new” ones for the second time. I am not feeling optimistic that this will be the last time we replace. Sadly. I just love the car so I won’t be selling it anytime soon.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm on my 4th set and have a 2018 Max Limited. The newest style that really look to be an updated part didn't come out until about 5-6 months ago. I don't see how a tune or any modifications could hurt a poorly designed phaser so I'd call Ford corporate and place a concern that you feel you should have the newest installed after you get some facts like part numbers together to support it. There's a bunch of YouTube videos showing how different the newest style is which Ford really should have done from the start of the recall or had been more honest that its not a one time only and more was to come. There's also videos how to see if you have the newer billet looking type by seeing into the engine via the Oil fill cap. I think the YouTuber ForTechMakuloco has that one posted. My experience with Ford corporate is to be kind, have your facts and get ready to repeat it 15 times over the course of a month or also see if you can talk to a Service Manager at a dealer that will support you and they can also advocate to Ford while you have an open claim with them to get the repair partially or fully covered. Good luck to you and hope they step up.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm on my 4th set and have a 2018 Max Limited. The newest style that really look to be an updated part didn't come out until about 5-6 months ago. I don't see how a tune or any modifications could hurt a poorly designed phaser so I'd call Ford corporate and place a concern that you feel you should have the newest installed after you get some facts like part numbers together to support it. There's a bunch of YouTube videos showing how different the newest style is which Ford really should have done from the start of the recall or had been more honest that its not a one time only and more was to come. There's also videos how to see if you have the newer billet looking type by seeing into the engine via the Oil fill cap. I think the YouTuber ForTechMakuloco has that one posted. My experience with Ford corporate is to be kind, have your facts and get ready to repeat it 15 times over the course of a month or also see if you can talk to a Service Manager at a dealer that will support you and they can also advocate to Ford while you have an open claim with them to get the repair partially or fully covered. Good luck to you and hope they step up.
Vert informative video from Youtuber ForTechMakuloco. Thank you very much.

Malanis21

Reaction score
Anyone knows if the new upgraded phasers starting with the 'M' part number will fix the issue? some with experience of replacing w/ 'M' part number? I'm on the fence on getting the 3rd replacement done at 64k miles on 2018 and concern it won't fix the issue 'forever' the reprograming they did last yr made the rattle become a rattle + knocking (diesel type) noise at cold startups. Plus waiting for ford to help with some of the cost, their first bid was only 40%!!! ridiculous!!

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The prefix starting with rather than H seems to be likely newer design. I had a additional post with the updated phasers numbers. I had my phasers done in 11/ 21 upon purchase at 35k on my vehicle. A bit PO'd that the phasers replaced were of the old part number. I have the oil and Filter changed at 6 month intervals. At this point in time I have 41k on the vehicle. Maintenance I believe is the key and I also flood start it every 1st start in the AM. I also bought Ford Protect warranty. Who knows what could possibly develope during ownership. But will be covered.

Malanis21

Reaction score
Thanks all, I’m having them guarantee that they use the latest phasers with letter ‘M’ if they can’t do that then time for trade in :(