Third Expo needing respray around the edges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

effingpot

Reaction score
So this is my third Expedition and today I've just agreed to pay £800 to have the front and back completely resprayed due to the Aluminium 'rust' / rot or whatever it's called. In fact just under the back door, the paint is coming right off! The guy who will do it, did a great job of the last two and had a secret bet with me 2 years ago that I'd be in for a paint job. He won!

Do you guys all have the same problem on the bonnet and boot? ("Hood" and "trunk" to you I guess :))
It seems like a common fault given my 3 out of 3, 100% failure rate! Just surprised Ford didn't do something about that.

It's not just mine is it?

2020-05-04 15.31.21.jpg
2020-05-04 15.32.19.jpg

b4ctrooper

Reaction score
I have it on my 2015 bottom of the tailgate. I understand the hood after getting rock chips, but the rear gate, come on!

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So this is my third Expedition and today I've just agreed to pay £800 to have the front and back completely resprayed due to the Aluminium 'rust' / rot or whatever it's called. In fact just under the back door, the paint is coming right off! The guy who will do it, did a great job of the last two and had a secret bet with me 2 years ago that I'd be in for a paint job. He won!

Do you guys all have the same problem on the bonnet and boot? ("Hood" and "trunk" to you I guess :))
It seems like a common fault given my 3 out of 3, 100% failure rate! Just surprised Ford didn't do something about that.

View attachment 35913
View attachment 35914

It’s pretty common on the tailgate. I rarely see an expedition without the paint coming off in that spot...mine included.
I had a Taurus X few years back (which became the Explorer) and my wife has a Flex...and both of those had/have the paint peeling issues on hood or tailgate.
Not sure what Ford can’t get right on painting their aluminum body parts but sheesh.

2007 Ford Expedition Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score

View attachment 35913
View attachment 35914
I see in your profile info it’s a 2015 but you state it’s a 5.4 L V8???? Was the 5.4 L V8 still available in 2015 UK models?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see in your profile info it’s a 2015 but you state it’s a 5.4 L V8???? Was the 5.4 L V8 still available in 2015 UK models?

He’s got a 2015 with the 5.4L 3V......the crazy part is it has the Ford 2015 style electronics/cluster with the 5.4L redline built in.....it was either some overseas order that fell through after the fact OR someone 5.4 3V swapped a 2015 or swapped the interior and exterior of a 2014 to a 15+ which would have been a NIGHTMARE. Those clusters are not interchangeable. Pretty interesting and wild.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/help-to-identify-a-part-please.40736/page-3

Last edited:

TuxedoBlack

Reaction score
I thought I had dodged this issue until I looked at my hood and liftgate with my glasses on! Fooey!

15 Platinum Tuxedo Black

OP
OP
effingpot

effingpot

Reaction score

It's non existent model. There's another thread here somewhere with more details but the short version is it's a Middle East model that got cancelled. The batch got sold off and I picked it up via an importer in Liverpool, there were like 10-20 of them. If I could read Arabic it would help with the documentation and manuals but this group is very helpful.

** Sorry just noticed someone already answered and even linked to the post in question. See I told you this was a helpful bunch :)

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's non existent model. There's another thread here somewhere with more details but the short version is it's a Middle East model that got cancelled. The batch got sold off and I picked it up via an importer in Liverpool, there were like 10-20 of them. If I could read Arabic it would help with the documentation and manuals but this group is very helpful.

** Sorry just noticed someone already answered and even linked to the post in question. See I told you this was a helpful bunch :)

Pretty cool find. Is the VIN # 007 Mr. Bond? You’re not fooling me over there across the pond.