This is why we can't have nice things.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, that's a major bummer. If they decide to fix it, ask her insurance company for depreciation since it'll lose value due to it having an accident in it's carfax history.. and on that note if it's being fixed it's a good practice to ask the body shop if they report to carfax before approving them to do work.. if they do, call around and ask other body shops. Carfax only shows what is reported to them.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Just drive a hard bargain with your insurance carrier. They'll try to lowball you any way they can. Their first offer will never be their best. Good luck my friend. It's happened to the best of us.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
DEFINITELY Seek Diminished Value if it's not totaled...

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, that's a major bummer. If they decide to fix it, ask her insurance company for depreciation since it'll lose value due to it having an accident in it's carfax history.. and on that note if it's being fixed it's a good practice to ask the body shop if they report to carfax before approving them to do work.. if they do, call around and ask other body shops. Carfax only shows what is reported to them.

I bet you'll complain if you buy a car and then find out later it was in a crash that was not reported to CarFax.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet you'll complain if you buy a car and then find out later it was in a crash that was not reported to CarFax.

Agreed, there is nothing to hide if it’s fixed right. It’s only right that it’s reported.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt that it will be totaled. The frame is at least 14" inside the body. That's just door damage and possibly some "B" pillar damage.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They seem to always find the spot right next to me. I can park over a mile away, with thousands of spots to park right up front...no they park right next to me. I mean come on, atleast give us 1 spot in between us.
I hate when they do that. Fortunately that doesn't happen to me very often.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
That is is not totaled. Just the door. She moved 5000lbs, sideways 1 foot and practically totaled her Subaru(in a parking lot?). UPS tells its drivers to watch there "park position". It is a big issue for them. It sounds crazy, but there huge brown trucks get back into, all the time. Elderly and bad drivers, don't look when they back up. UPS dings the driver if hit, stopped near a driveway, with car "nose in". I personally park, far from the action, near the back of the lot.