Those with catch cans...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
if you have any type of catch can installed; what brand, how often do you drain it, what do the contents look like, and how much do you get.

For me: JLT passenger side, 1500-2000 miles, sand colored with some dark liquid mixed in, 1.5-2oz

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you have any type of catch can installed; what brand, how often do you drain it, what do the contents look like, and how much do you get.

For me: JLT passenger side, 1500-2000 miles, sand colored with some dark liquid mixed in, 1.5-2oz
Just for kicks, pour it into a glass, cover it to prevent evaporation, and let it settle. I wonder how much of this captured fluid is water. What kind of driving do you do, e.g.; single trip distances. For me, I drive 5 miles a day, in 2 2.5 mile legs, so my engine does not regularly run at normal temps Mon-Fri.

I don't have a catch can, but I suspect I'm getting much more condensate built up because it rarely has an opportunity to boil off. The oil on my stick doesn't show anything out of the ordinary, although the truck is brand new and right now is in for its 2nd oil change (10k mile service).

OP
OP
J Ski

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Just for kicks, pour it into a glass, cover it to prevent evaporation, and let it settle. I wonder how much of this captured fluid is water. What kind of driving do you do, e.g.; single trip distances. For me, I drive 5 miles a day, in 2 2.5 mile legs, so my engine does not regularly run at normal temps Mon-Fri.

I don't have a catch can, but I suspect I'm getting much more condensate built up because it rarely has an opportunity to boil off. The oil on my stick doesn't show anything out of the ordinary, although the truck is brand new and right now is in for its 2nd oil change (10k mile service).
Work commute is 10 minutes there and back. Occasional 200-300 miles trips 2-3 times a month. Mostly city driving some highway occasionally. Oil changes are between 3500 and 5000 miles full synthetic. Ive let the liquid settle once before and the thick viscous sand colored crap is obviously heavier so the “oily waste” sat on top.

I cleaned the intake manifold MAP sensor the day I installed the can. It was completely caked in oil. After I cleaned it, about 5000 miles ago or so, I haven’t seen any oil or build up on it so I know the can is working

limitedex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2013 3.5L Ecoboost F150 drains about 4-8oz every 1,500-3,000 miles. I use UPR catch can. Fluid is mostly milky, lots of water, and then sometimes some nasty thick(er) sludge. Also high gasoline smell mixed with oil. I also drillled a pinhole in my CAC if anyone is interested.

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
JLT on passenger side. 1.5 oz after 1100 miles. Milky look with water, and I drive mostly short (2-4 mile) trips.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
JLT Passenger side. I just emptied it after 700 miles and got 2.4 oz. The milky/dark liquid everyone else is seeing. I'm going to check it again in a month.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
E07AF97A-7BC9-4D9F-A21D-29627F8B8C7E.jpeg 713B4A5B-4949-48A8-A949-5802B918BC98.jpegI been emptying it every so often into the same cup so this is an accumulation reading of over a 1,230 mi span. Team RXP can on a 2017 with 7,101 mi on engine. Installed the can at 5,870 mi. It has a gas smell in the oil but not much water/condensation.That may be because it’s garage keep so engine start up temps aren’t much of a cold morning start up

OP
OP
J Ski

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
View attachment 24743 View attachment 24744I been emptying it every so often into the same cup so this is an accumulation reading of over a 1,230 mi span. Team RXP can on a 2017 with 7,101 mi on engine. Installed the can at 5,870 mi. It has a gas smell in the oil but not much water/condensation.That may be because it’s garage keep so engine start up temps aren’t much of a cold morning start up
Good stuff here! Hopefully ppl on the seesaw of whether or not to get one will see the results here and buy one, whatever type it may be

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
All vehicles produce this. On engines with direct injection, it may coat the intakes valves. Turbo vehicles produce more blow by, because of forced induction. There is no safe way to clean intake valves, without potential turbo damage. They must be cleaned, by removing the head. Ford claims a second set of port injectors, solved the problem. They could of added a catch can instead(If it worked). It would been much cheaper than retooling the engines and adding more fuel injectors. The older, direct injection only, models should definitely have one. Ford did not want the negative impact, of new owners dumping out an oily mess, on a regular basis. They know people spending $70K, would not be happy about such a task. I doubt the EPA, would approve it.

OP
OP
J Ski

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
All vehicles produce this. On engines with direct injection, it may coat the intakes valves. Turbo vehicles produce more blow by, because of forced induction. There is no safe way to clean intake valves, without potential turbo damage. They must be cleaned, by removing the head. Ford claims a second set of port injectors, solved the problem. They could of added a catch can instead(If it worked). It would been much cheaper than retooling the engines and adding more fuel injectors. The older, direct injection only, models should definitely have one. Ford did not want the negative impact, of new owners dumping out an oily mess, on a regular basis. They know people spending $70K, would not be happy about such a task. I doubt the EPA, would approve it.
Just properly dispose of the hazardous waste and you’ll be fine. This thread is for posting about what’s collected in a catch can. Don’t have one? Please don’t post your rants in here, there are other more open threads about cans to do that in.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65