Thoughts on coil packs and spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckG

Reaction score
Hey guys we have an 07 limited. She is starting to eat us alive in repairs.

Did the crazy expensive cam phaser repair last year. Starter a month ago. Now another plug and coil pack.

Car has 138k how often are plugs fouling for members out there with third gens.

Thanks
Chuck

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Well I got 110k on mine and it's miss firing like hell. I think they're recommend to be replaced every 60k miles (spark plugs) the coils should last the life of the car unless one or two go out for some random reason

I don't recommend changing the coils though they're expensive as hell and if they still work then leave them alone.

Anyone know the part# for the revised one piece motorcraft spark plug that work for 2nd gen 5.4? The updated plugs that don't break!

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
100K is what the maintenance call for change...some have done it a little earlier and others slightly longer

OP
OP
C

ChuckG

Reaction score
Ok I'm getting milage log from when I had plugs changed. It was right around 100k
We are at 138k. These coil packs have been going off like popcorn. Just swiped debit for 388 at ford dealer. Tiring. That was diagnostic with one plug and one coil pack replaced.

lifted dave

Reaction score
In my area accel coil packs run $230 for 8 and bosch platinum $40 for 8 right before Christmas I blew 4 coil packs and 2 plugs out

EliteFord

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so the coil packs vary from $40-$230+ for 8? any problems with the lower priced ones?

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Follow this rule of thumb

"You get what you paid for"

The most expensive coils on the market are the OEM ford, why is that? Well think for a minute unlike say a company such as MSD or accel ford is a multi-billion dollar company which employee engineers and designers far more capable than what those two companies could afford, they test their products under far more stricts regulations and standards than what the other guys have to encounter. The auto maker product is made to last the life of the car not a few years and oops seems like I need yet another new coil set for said other smaller company

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Time to be a DIY person so you'll just pay for parts and not labor especially in diagnostics. OEM parts are best.

2007Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you change the plugs yourself, make sure that you have a decent torque wrench and tighten all the plug to 25 foot pounds. When we did mine.. we just made them snug with the thoughts of less likely to break plugs next time and tightening them into an aluminum block. With that being said, I started getting a smell of burning gases. After a few weeks of frustration, I found out this is common if the plugs aren't tightened down enough.

Got the issue resolved... but wish I had done it from the jump.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Changed original plugs out at 95K or so. They all looked pretty good and I likely could have left them for another 20K. I've only got about 105K now so I can't really comment on the second set. Coils are all original and I have no intentions of changing them anytime soon (if ever). If doing them yourself though, you can buy an entire set of Motorcraft coils for under $300 online. I've seen dealers charge as much as $800 for the same coils and that's without labor.