Ticking/knocking sound on '99 5.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaserlet

Reaction score
I recently started hearing a ticking/knocking sound coming from the firewall side of the 5.4 in my 1999 4WD Expedition with 150,000 miles. The sound is heard best from standing outside the driver's door while the engine is idling. Originally I was thinking it was just a bad pully, as that's sort of how it sounds... but I can't hear the sound at all from the front (bumper side) of the engine. It doesn't sound like a hard knocking or a hard metal-on-meal banging... it's more of a hard plastic on metal ticking. It's not as bad as the "why does my 5.4 sound like a diesel" noise from a newer 3V 5.4 with bad cam phasors, but the rythym is very similar... about the same rythym as the idle exhaust puttering. Anyway, the sound isn't alarming, and my wife and friends haven't said anything about it, but it's kind of bothering me as I don't want to be ignoring a potentially larger problem. Any ideas?

Jackmldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it consistent with rpms? As in as the rpms rise does it become more frequent? Check all your spark plugs and make sure they're torqued to spec. I had this exact same issue and one day it just popped out. Also check the boots on the coils to see if there are any holes which may allow current through which would hit the walls. Let us know what happens man..

OP
OP
J

jaserlet

Reaction score
The sound is consistent with RPM, though it can't really be heard above the engine noise above 1400 rpm or so. The sound does become more faint as the engine warms up on warmer days. Though in today's 40 degrees it still made the ticking noise after 30 minutes of city driving.

ASIANREDNECK

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing also when the weather gets colder. What type of oil are you using?

this is what a guy told me.

The timing chain tensioners were disintegrating and the bits of plastic were clogging the flow of of oil into the passenger side of the engine.. So we replaced the timing chains, tensioners and associated parts that were jammed with plastic from the originals, and voila ticking sound was gone, and performance improved.

For me my ticking is on the passenger side only. I believe it's my chain and tensioner also, but I'm too lazy to change them.

Last edited:

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it were wild guess time I would offer up exhaust leak but.....
If you take a looong screwdriver, touch something, like your alternator to start, and place your ear on the handle end, the sound will be relayed. amplified, and localized right to your ear. With this method maybe you can track it down. Watch out for moving fans and belts etc..... They also make a stethoscope for mechanics that can be had from Harbor Freight pretty cheap.

Jackmldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it were wild guess time I would offer up exhaust leak but.....
If you take a looong screwdriver, touch something, like your alternator to start, and place your ear on the handle end, the sound will be relayed. amplified, and localized right to your ear. With this method maybe you can track it down. Watch out for moving fans and belts etc..... They also make a stethoscope for mechanics that can be had from Harbor Freight pretty cheap.

I would do this. You can also just buy a wooden dowel from lowes

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65