Timing Chain Cover Leaking - 2007 Navigator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Tighten up on the bolts. That area only gets oil splash. It may be leaking somewhere else.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Like rjdelp says above, make darn sure it's the cover that's leaking. There's not much oil in there, just splash lubrication. Are you sure it's not running down from somewhere else?

Franklin Jones

Reaction score
I’m in the “keep and repair” camp.

I just traded in my 06 Yukon with 250k miles. The engine and transmission were still strong, it was rust and accessories that were starting to fail. I plan on keeping my expy for at least that many miles, as long as it doesn’t rust to death. Your ’gator should have lots of life left.

Also, a few years back, I replaced the timing chain, water pump, oil pump, intake gasket, etc etc etc on my old Dodge Ram truck when it was -5 degrees out. I know it’s different than the 5.4 you’re dealing with, but it’s still just unscrewing one bolt after another until you get everything off, then putting them back in the right spot.

Franklin Jones

Reaction score
And keep the stop leak far away from your engine.

Stop leak products usually do a great job at stopping leaks... but also stopping flow in the books and crannies and passages where you need it.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And keep the stop leak far away from your engine.

Stop leak products usually do a great job at stopping leaks... but also stopping flow in the books and crannies and passages where you need it.

Can be true for the motor honeys and lucas and STP thick ones but Blue Devil Oil Leak stop is a thin oil. Seal sweller I guess. I would have no concern for it hurting or blocking anything.
Just like using a High Mileage oil with seal conditioners (swellers) to help stop leaks.

I would never put a thick oil additive in anything with a good or even decent engine.
Those are Hail Marys for old worn out noisy, knocking, oil blowing ones.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
A blocked exhaust, will cause excess crankcase pressure. It may cause leaks around valve covers and main seals. Any chance you have a clogged CAT?

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
A blocked exhaust, will cause excess crankcase pressure. It may cause leaks around valve covers and main seals. Any chance you have a clogged CAT?

I just smogged it last month and it passed. I'm assuming that would throw a code or not pass? Although, Nevada smog checks seem to be pretty lenient compared to CA where I grew up...