Timing chain issues at 20k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4gen

Reaction score
So I just had my 2018 Expy Max in for cam phasers replacement at the dealership. It came back a day later than expected. It turns out, based on the paperwork, that the timing chain was lose. So they also replaced the chain and both tensioners in addition to the cam phasers TSB.

The truck is 2yo and has only 20k miles on it. I haven't seen anyone else complaining about the 4th gen timing chain yet on here. Curious if others are having the same issue.

Last edited:

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I just had my 2018 Expy Max in for cam phasers replacement at the dealership. It came back a day later than expected. It turns out, based on the paperwork, that the timing chain was lose. So they also replaced the chain and both tensioners in addition to the cam phasers TSB.

The truck is 2yo and has only 20k miles on it. I haven't seen anyone else complaining about the 4th gen timing chain yet on here. Curious if others are having the same issue.
1st I’ve heard of timing chains...

Timmaaay4

Reaction score
Both of mine were replaced due to being stretched as well with the vct tsb

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have heard unofficially that they are not really stretched but some places are replacing them because its all out anyway and they make extra money...

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 18 Navigator I just bought had 17K miles on it. It had the Phasers done TWICE and one set of timing chains, tensioners,... Maybe even 2 sets of timing chains, I'm not sure. Seemed crazy, but glad they're new!

OP
OP

4gen

Reaction score
The thing is... they claimed that after replacing cam phasers, the engine was still making the rattling noise. So they had to replace the timing chain the next day after getting the parts. No rattle so far today.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sounds sketchy.

When they did mine, the mechanic told me before he even started working on it that the TSB would replace the chain, the tensioners, the guides, all four VCT phasers, etc.

OP
OP

4gen

Reaction score
The phasers TSB doesn't list the chain and tensioners as replaceable parts. And in fact, Ford explicitly prohibits replacing additional timing components "Do not replace any additional VCT or engine timing related components not included in the Parts List"
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10177121-0001.pdf

I'm guessing/hoping the mechanics know that timing chains need to be replaced anyway and find a reasonable excuse to do so.

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/ru-kidding-me.44518/