Tip and Slide Only Works with LATCH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Expis are starting to show up on dealer lots here in the Dallas area so I went to play with one today. I took my son’s booster seat to see just how well the Tip and Slide seating system works in allowing access to the third row. I was disappointed to learn that it doesn’t. If you are only using the LATCH system, it would work as promised, tipping and sliding forward allowing third-row access. But if you have the seat secured using the shoulder belt (which is usually required once the kid weighs more than 40 pounds) the seat belt essentially ties the seat down preventing it from tipping and sliding forward. This is because the seatbelt is attached to the C pillar and the seat cannot move once attached to the booster/car seat.

It is obvious once you look at it, but all of the reviews simply said “the seat can move forward with a child’s seat installed”...not so fast.

Not a huge deal as this means I just have to get captain’s chairs, but it took me by surprise.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Expis are starting to show up on dealer lots here in the Dallas area so I went to play with one today. I took my son’s booster seat to see just how well the Tip and Slide seating system works in allowing access to the third row. I was disappointed to learn that it doesn’t. If you are only using the LATCH system, it would work as promised, tipping and sliding forward allowing third-row access. But if you have the seat secured using the shoulder belt (which is usually required once the kid weighs more than 40 pounds) the seat belt essentially ties the seat down preventing it from tipping and sliding forward. This is because the seatbelt is attached to the C pillar and the seat cannot move once attached to the booster/car seat.

It is obvious once you look at it, but all of the reviews simply said “the seat can move forward with a child’s seat installed”...not so fast.

Not a huge deal as this means I just have to get captain’s chairs, but it took me by surprise.
Oh man this kinda sucks for me as we have 2 kids under 2. I guess when we are using the 3rd row we can either put one back there or move one to the middle of the second row so at least there is an option. Thanks for the info!

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Did you get an opportunity for a test drive?

OP
OP
aggiegrad05

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately, no. I called ahead and they said it would be ok, but when I got there the manager had vetoed it. As far as I can tell this was the first one delivered in the area and he said there had already been about 20 people in to see it that day.

I had previously seen the two platinums they had at the Texas State Fair, but this was the first one I had seen with the ebony leather interior...it looks good.

And the BO Sound System is incredible.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, no. I called ahead and they said it would be ok, but when I got there the manager had vetoed it. As far as I can tell this was the first one delivered in the area and he said there had already been about 20 people in to see it that day.

I had previously seen the two platinums they had at the Texas State Fair, but this was the first one I had seen with the ebony leather interior...it looks good.

That's too bad. My salesman is going to call me as soon as he get's one here. It told him that I might be crazy enough to trade in my 17 for 18 if I like it enough. My wife may kill me, but it's only money.:confused: Easy come, easy go.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our latch seats are good to 80lbs. After that, after that a backless booster is fine... And the backless boosters are <$30...

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one thing I’ll say about sitting behind the wheel of the 18’ is that the 3rd gen looks and feels more aggressive from the drivers seat. The new one is lacking the big raised power dome hood. Im going to keep mine and just put some money in as needed.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stupid of them to veto the request. The truck is there to be sold not to be admired by employees for a week.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one thing I’ll say about sitting behind the wheel of the 18’ is that the 3rd gen looks and feels more aggressive from the drivers seat. The new one is lacking the big raised power dome hood. Im going to keep mine and just put some money in as needed.
The one thing I hate about the power dome hood is the sun reflects off the angled piece and right into my eyes at times. It is most annoying. I've thought about have some flat black vinyl put on the back edge to cut down on the reflection.