Tire cable/chains on rear only for 4x4 too?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just checked and today it seems they are allowing traction tires on vehicles less than 10K GVW. My wife said it showed required on all vehicles, but that was yesterday morning. Good to have em, I guess.

Janky you need to run in 4WD (4A, etc.) in the snow or you will lose a lot of traction. I'm also in the PNW and we live up a very steep hill (40 deg or so incline with a switchback). I put my chains on the rear wheels and run in 4A and have no trouble getting up and down the hill. With that said, however, I also take it really slow and lock the truck in first gear on the way down. Just to be safe, I also keep the right wheels slightly off the road in the gravel to get some extra grip. A few years back one of our neighbors slid down the hill right past the first turn and went over the embankment!

EDIT: I forgot to note we have both a '17 and an '18. I put chains on my '17 EL since I run 17-inch wheels and Winter tires on it. Our '18 has 22's so we don't drive it in the snow at all. If I had to in emergency, I'd run in 4A, Grass/Gravel/Snow mode, and if conditions were really bad I'd use a tire sock.

Last edited:

vincentrose

Reaction score
Generally, usually, when chains are required, 4X4 vehicles are usually exempt, but you'll have to check the individual state laws to be sure.

Plati

Reaction score
So ... a bit off topic but I wanted to see if I bought a BRONCO , would that solve the "no chain" issue. So I looked in the Owners Manual and it was a little confusing but it seems like the BRONCO will only allow chains on the front 2 wheels. Plus they seem to have tire size restrictions as in "if you have this tire size - no chains at all" and "if you have this size you can put these chains/cables on the front". Kinda dumb marketing choice IMHO.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So ... a bit off topic but I wanted to see if I bought a BRONCO , would that solve the "no chain" issue. So I looked in the Owners Manual and it was a little confusing but it seems like the BRONCO will only allow chains on the front 2 wheels. Plus they seem to have tire size restrictions as in "if you have this tire size - no chains at all" and "if you have this size you can put these chains/cables on the front". Kinda dumb marketing choice IMHO.
Bronco sport correct? Its a different animal than the Bronco. The Sport is like many of the other cross overs its a front wheel drive biased system so chains on front and yes many vehicles have tire size notes given larger tire can limit space for cables/chains. The Sport is such a cool rig its going to eat into Subaru’s bread and butter Outback sales

Janky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I never did need the Laclede's, so I took them back to O'Reilly. I ordered the SCC Super Z-6 - SV117 from Vulcan Tire and they showed up just a few days later! Really nice product! Put them on just to make sure they fit. It's tight in places, but I'm hoping these are just piece of mind which I will never actually use.

DSC_3013.JPG

DSC_3017.JPG

DSC_3016.JPG

DSC_3015.JPG

DSC_3014.JPG

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The z cables are for sure about the best for tight clearance vehicles I haven’t bought them yet for my 22’s but that’s basically the only option other than the crazy traction socks etc.

Phil2D2

Reaction score
Reason most chains cannot be mounted on front is the upper ball joint and break lines. If you can get some they will be called class s chains.

Autosocks are junk if you need real traction device. Maybe acceptable if you're only looking to check the box in case of being pulled over.

Typically chains are not recommend for tires with an aspect ratio less than 50 ( I think). Mfgs and distributers do not want to deal with the damage claims for damaged wheels (especially considering that many times these are $$$)

Source...guy works in engineering dept of chain mfg for 18+ yrs