Tire Pressure Monitoring System Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
VDO SE10001HP is $28.93 w/ free shipping at Amazon. We've got a set in my wife's car for the last 4 years or so. No issues. When the ones on my Expedition go, I'll be replacing them with these as well. I actually try to avoid OEM replacements whenever possible; most of it is junk in my experience.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
[QUOTE="ExpeditionAndy,

Personally I like them. I wish they gave a readout of the pressures in the tires.[/QUOTE]

The funny thing Andy...is on the Super Duty 250, the TPMS does readout all the tire pressures with a graphic....I would have liked that feature too but for some reason, they didn't put it on our truck!

jeff

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
[QUOTE="ExpeditionAndy,

Personally I like them. I wish they gave a readout of the pressures in the tires.

The funny thing Andy...is on the Super Duty 250, the TPMS does readout all the tire pressures with a graphic....I would have liked that feature too but for some reason, they didn't put it on our truck!

jeff[/QUOTE]

I'm willing to bet that the programming for tire pressure display is in there somewhere, its just been turned off. I would have a hard time believing that a manufacturer would incur the expense of developing a software version for each model of vehicle they produce. And then do that each year. I'm guessing there is a baseline version and then that is tailored for each model. And the baseline is probably installed on every vehicle with flags set.

Find the flag, change the world.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="ExpeditionAndy,

Personally I like them. I wish they gave a readout of the pressures in the tires.

jeff[/QUOTE]
I wonder if it is in one of the modules that we scan with FORScan and the OBDII connector.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

jeff

I'm willing to bet that the programming for tire pressure display is in there somewhere, its just been turned off. I would have a hard time believing that a manufacturer would incur the expense of developing a software version for each model of vehicle they produce. And then do that each year. I'm guessing there is a baseline version and then that is tailored for each model. And the baseline is probably installed on every vehicle with flags set.

Find the flag, change the world.[/QUOTE]
I'm betting that if it is in there we can find it using FORScan. I've downloaded all of my orginal modules and saved them to my computer. I'll have to take a look when I get some time. I downloaded about 5 or 6 additional spreadsheets maybe someone has already identified that section.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IIRC, the TPMS isn't a real-time system. It reads the pressure at key "ON", and then queries every 5 minutes or so. Thats why the batteries last so long.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC, the TPMS isn't a real-time system. It reads the pressure at key "ON", and then queries every 5 minutes or so. Thats why the batteries last so long.
I think you are correct Bob. The tire sensors report like once an hour when the vehicle is stationary and every 5 or 10 minutes when the wheels are rotating, but I think the pressure is reported but the computer doesn't display it. It only notifies you when the pressure isn't equal within a set range.