Tire Pressure Monitoring System Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truck is pretty much where I want it now other than one bug that still bothers me... every time I start it up I get a beep and a message about a TPMS fault on the dash. I looked up the cost of sensors and have no interest replacing them at their price for what they do ($200). Well it's more about tracking it down and actually doing it for something so non essential I guess is the best way I can word it. Is there an easy way to disable and disconnect the tire pressure monitoring system from my display center? It's more of an annoyance than anything at this point. All pressures are good on all four.

Last edited:

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Truck is pretty much where I want it now other than one bug that still bothers me... every time I start it up I get a beep and a message about a TPMS fault on the dash. I looked up the cost of sensors and have no interest replacing them at their price for what they do ($200). Well it's more about tracking it down and actually doing it for something so non essential I guess is the best way I can word it. Is there an easy way to disable and disconnect the tire pressure monitoring system from my display center? It's more of an annoyance than anything at this point. All pressures are good on all four.

Sensor Training (Reset Procedure)

NOTE: The tire pressure monitoring system is not affected by wheel and tire rotation.

NOTE: The tire pressure sensor training procedure must be done on a single vehicle, in an area without radio frequency (RF) noise.

RF noise is generated by electrical motor and appliance operation, cellular telephones and remote transmitters, power inverters and portable entertainment equipment.

1.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
2.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.
3.Press and release the brake pedal.
4.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
5.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.

6.The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if train mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center displays "TRAIN LF TIRE", place the tire pressure sensor magnet on the valve stem of the LF tire pressure sensor. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tirepressure sensor has been recognized by the TPMS module.
7.Within two minutes after the horn sounds, place the magnet on the valve stem of the RF tirepressure sensor.
NOTE: If the VSM (TPMS module integral to VSM) does not recognize any one of the four tire pressure sensors during the tire training procedure, the horn will sound twice and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRENOT TRAINED REPEAT" and the procedure must be repeated.

8.Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.
When the tire training procedure is complete, the horn will sound once and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE TRAINING MODE COMPLETE".

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this info J Ski I didn't even put it together these were trainable. I will have to get the magnet and try this out to see if it corrects the problem. Hopefully it does as I just hate putting time into something that doesn't ensure safety or drive the truck.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
TPMS can be deactivated by using Forscan. The info for doing that is on the forum somewhere. I've never used that tool myself, so I can't offer any tips or help with it.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andy you are correct I have seen that info now that I think about it...

I might get a set of Airtex/Wells ones this week if I'm feeling motivated

Last edited:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are two types of TPMS sensor. One is the valve stem type, the other is a unit that is strapped to inside of wheel. The strap type can't be trained with the magnet on the stem. 222311-MLB20509648335_122015-Y.jpg

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andy you are correct I have seen that info now that I think about it... now that I know that I will just have to deactivate the tpms as I'm not going to go through the headache of working on such an annoying feature anyway. Dealer wants about a grand to replace them.... HAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!! Is that an engineered in cash grab or what?

$90 a unit for oem my cost no thanks... even then i see it as waste. That's Ford pricing I know I can do a lot better on eBay but I'm not feeling it lol.

I might get a set of Airtex/Wells ones this week if I'm feeling motivated
Don't be fooled by the Orange ones on Amazon and eBay. They suck. put a set in my 05 and they lasted a little over a year. They were cheap but that's all I can say good about them. Bought some Schraders and they were still going strong when I traded it at 2-1/2 years later. It is best to change them when you put new tires on, that way you don't have to pay to unmount and mount and balance tires and wheels.

Personally I like them. I wish they gave a readout of the pressures in the tires.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are two types of TPMS sensor. One is the valve stem type, the other is a unit that is strapped to inside of wheel. The strap type can't be trained with the magnet on the stem. View attachment 21248

The Airtex/Wells slash OEM style are the strap on inside ones not valve stem I'd buy OEM style. Found this info out today when i looked at Fords site. If I'm going to do it I'm going to do it how it was originally. Andy the thing that sucks is my tires are brand spanking new... well two months old... I'm not very happy with them but Cooper tires are cheap. I usually like to run Michelin but am giving them a chance.

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Airtex/Wells slash OEM style are the strap on inside ones not valve stem I'd buy OEM style. Found this info out today when i looked at Fords site. If I'm going to do it I'm going to do it how it was originally. Andy the thing that sucks is my tires are brand spanking new... well two months old... I'm not very happy with them but Cooper tires are cheap. I usually like to run Michelin but am giving them a chance.
I had Coopers on the 05. The looked great but the were noisy. I hated them. I was so glad when they wore out and I had to change them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev