Tire pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had my tire pressure checked by Penske Racing, and they recommend 36.78psi, so you know mine is right.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I thought the Alpine Loop in Colorado. :) Not a quick drive from your 500' ASL home on the shores of Lake Ontario. The outside air pressure is less at altitude but inconsequential to operation. See this article. Note temperature also has an effect which can counteract altitude. And trigger our low tire pressure warning with a severe temperature drop.

Tire carcass is a bit more rigid than an air mattress where the pressure differential is very apparent. Same with kids balloons.

-- Chuck

nightfly

Reanimator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I bought my '08, the PO told me that if he ran stock pressures, his wife complained about the ride. Said he kept trying slightly lower pressures until the truck handled and rode well. that was on Goodyear at/s P rated tires. I got it with 33 on three tires and 31 on the other. I pumped the low one back to 33 and tried it. It runs fine, with no increase in tire temps with the lower pressures. Of course, I ride alone most of the time, with very little load in the truck (hey, I'm very tall and need the legroom). I check my tire temps with a simple laser thermometer, in multiple areas of the sidewalls and tread. I don't know how accurate that is, but the tires are never too hot to touch, including the tread. Had this truck a year and a half now, with no issues.

As far as overinflating? You're really going to have to go to a rather high pressure to get the tire to fail that way. Most tires don't blow out from high pressure; they burst because of, as mentioned by others, overheating the carcass by running too LOW a pressure.

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I air up my rear tires to 50psi when towing my travel trailer since the oem tires have such a soft side wall and I'm running at max tongue weight so any additional stiffness helps. Even with a properly setup wdh, max air pressure on the oe tires makes a difference. It also gives me slightly better mpg when highway traveling.

^^^ This. I put extra load tires on my Expy and I do the same, max out at 50# when towing and down to 36 -38 when not towing. Towing with the pressure low makes for a squirrley drive....