Tire pressures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Factory Pirellis on the 22's run them at 36 cold.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So your comments above were pressures in tires on Limo’s? Why didn’t you mention that? We are talking about Expeditions, not Limo’s or Party Busses. Why were you talking those pressures with no reference point?

My statement still stands and is fact, and based on actual Data. Running tires slightly below the recommended vehicle manufacturer pressure with the stock size tires, and will give you better braking performance, but might have other negative like lateral control or tire temp and wear on outer edge. Pressures on the higher side decreases contact patch, and significantly increase stopping distances and very negatively effect lateral grip.

The part to take away is to find that sweet spot. Some where around the recommended pressure that gives you a good contact patch, and doesn’t lead to squishy handling or bad wear. Using the visible shape of the tire and sidewall is an absolute pointless endeavor unless the tire is VERY low. Using things like the chalk trick and the wet spot trick on pavement/concrete to understand the contact patch. Also paying attention to wear over time can tell you A LOT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No need to get defensive, I've already said you are correct and agree with your statements from the last post. I wasn't sure if by recommended you meant the maximum inflation pressure on the tire from the manufacturer or the one on the vehicles placard. I think from this last post you are meaning that they run better if you pass below the maximum printed on the sidewall which I completely agree with. That's also why I earlier said that I typically run them at 70-72 from what they have printed on the side wall. Unless you are loading a tire to its capacity it rides way too hard at at and as you mentioned the traction can suffer.

We are talking about tire pressures so whether it's on an expedition, a Lamborghini, or an airplane it's still relevant to the thread because it's about tire pressures.

"I never run at max unless it is a high weight carrying vehicle and it is used to haul weight.
All of these I have had load range E tires and all spec at 80 PSI max."

This was in my first post about it and I did specify I was talking about load range e tires carrying lots of weight. The fact that it's a limo or a moving truck makes little difference as the tires and the bus chassis is exactly the same for a box truck.

A lot of people that end up asking about tire pressures do so because they are Towing. This is also not a towing forum and most people tow with pickup trucks and not Expeditions and SUVs. At least people that tow a lot of weight.

When we have open conversation and people share their opinions and experiences even if they are off-topic, we learn learn more and get more information to base our own conclusions from.

The chalk method has always been about the best real-world way to test. I've done this many times and I've also use the actual in parking lot circumference test when matching up used tires that are worn with new tires that may be a different size. I remember on our Expedition once I had a couple of good used tires but only a little over half tread and had some brand-new yokohama's on the rear. I believe the new ones were 255 16 and the old ones were 265 so they were a closer match and circumference than if I were have put used to 255 on the front.
I've also use the online tire comparison sites to check circumference quite a few times also but nothing is as accurate is actually doing it yourself with chalk and a tape measure.

Now what I would like to know and maybe since you done a lot of car racing you might have a trick for this... Is how to find out if a tire is going to have increased edgware from being out of alignment without waiting until it's already starting to show?? I assume you could lay the chalk on heavily and drive and see if you're getting increased wear on the chalk on the edge 2 inches inside or out of the tire.
Just not sure if you could should keep this in a straight line or do any turning of the wheel whatsoever. I assume going in a straight line might give you some and pot as to if it's going to wear and an edge quicker.

psfsvt

Reaction score
For what it's worth, 275/65/18 E Range K02s; been running at 45psi for the last 40k miles. Tire wear is nice and even, and no issues of any kind at that pressure. 2014 EL 4x4. Got E Range because I'm on gravel and in fields a lot and E Range wear better for that and don't seem to get punctures as easily.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For what it's worth, 275/65/18 E Range K02s; been running at 45psi for the last 40k miles. Tire wear is nice and even, and no issues of any kind at that pressure. 2014 EL 4x4. Got E Range because I'm on gravel and in fields a lot and E Range wear better for that and don't seem to get punctures as easily.
I'm not sure if all E range wear better but they probably do. A lot of it might be brand dependent also. The best to wearing tires I've ever had in my life were Michelin LTX M&S load range E and BFGoodrich commercial T/A load E.

John D

Reaction score
I run 40psi in 18" michelin primacy XC on 2016 EL. No additional load. At highway speeds with 35psi, I feel like the sidewall flexes too much and the truck sways more than I like when changing lanes.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run 40psi in 18" michelin primacy XC on 2016 EL. No additional load. At highway speeds with 35psi, I feel like the sidewall flexes too much and the truck sways more than I like when changing lanes.
I'm assuming that since it's a Michelin tire and you didn't specify that it was a increased load range of D or E that the maximum inflation pressure on the side of the tire says 44 psi. If so then I find that 40-42 tends to be the best pressure to run them at on a standard vehicle hauling no heavy loads.