Tire pressures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Step into the world of LT's. It is common to see MAX COLD which is not MAX. ;)
Most tires, even LTS do not say maximum cold inflation. They say maximum load XXXX number of pounds at maximum pressure that is printed on the sidewall . Some may add cold for uniformity.
Even Turf & lawn mower tires have a maximum inflation credit on the sidewall. The first post was that there was no maximum pressure printed on the sidewall. I can't recall ever seeing a tire even on a two-wheel dolly but didn't have maximum inflation printed on the sidewalk.
No tire should ever be inflated past the maximum pressure stated on the sidewall.
It is irrelevant if you're going to haul a heavy load or not. If your load is over the maximum load rated on the sidewall of the tire at the maximum pressure then you need a heavier Rated Tire.
For uniformity we always check tire pressures when cold. This is not to say that a tire inflated to 80 lb cold will not be a few pounds over when it has been driving on the road for several miles.
But you never put 82 or 85 lb in that same Tire when it's cold because you're going to haul more weight. That is not appropriate.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stock tire size I run 36psi. If you look up the tire manufacturer's specs, the max weight rating is at 35psi. 36-44psi only stiffens the side wall with no increase in weight capacity.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
If anyone has an Expedition with factory LT tires I'd be interested in seeing the rear GAWR as listed on the data plate.

My Expedition's Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR), the maximum permissible weight on the rear axle, is 4300 pounds. This can be achieved with the recommended cold tire pressure of 35psi in the rear tires. Normal inflation higher than that will just wear out the tread center more quickly (although radials minimize this).

The GAWR doesn't change if I put 40psi in the tires or put harsh riding LT tires on the truck. At 51psi (max cold pressure) the pair of rear tires will support 5512 pounds -- but the axle and suspension won't.

-- Chuck

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If anyone has an Expedition with factory LT tires I'd be interested in seeing the rear GAWR as listed on the data plate.

My Expedition's Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR), the maximum permissible weight on the rear axle, is 4300 pounds. This can be achieved with the recommended cold tire pressure of 35psi in the rear tires. Normal inflation higher than that will just wear out the tread center more quickly (although radials minimize this).

The GAWR doesn't change if I put 40psi in the tires or put harsh riding LT tires on the truck. At 51psi (max cold pressure) the pair of rear tires will support 5512 pounds -- but the axle and suspension won't.

-- Chuck
Correct! It also doesn't really matter what the name plate for the manufacturer says. No tire should ever be loaded beyond the maximum load stated on the sidewall and that is at the PSI rated also stated on the sidewalk. You should never inflate a tire over the max pressure listed on the sidewall. If you do and you're trying to overcompensate for extra way you are already breaking safety rules by overloading the tires.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score

-- Chuck
IMG_3648.JPG

2010ELExpy4x4

Reaction score
LT 285 70 17 load range E run them at 35psi for on road driving, even at that pressure feel the road more than the P tires it came with.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stock Goodyear wranglers, P275/65/18 I run at max pressure of 50 front and rear during camping season since I'm running at max tongue weight and any additional stiffness in the rear (side to side) is greatly appreciated. If these dang things ever wear out I'll go to a firmer sidewall tire but right now I'm at 47k miles and still at half tread depth....

lance0604

Reaction score
Ford Platinum EL 2016 model. Tires: 285/45R22 114H. Recommended pressure in the door sticker 38 PSI Cold. Philippines is a warm country with temperature ranging 30-35 C. I just follow the manufacturer's recommended pressure.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford Platinum EL 2016 model. Tires: 285/45R22 114H. Recommended pressure in the door sticker 38 PSI Cold. Philippines is a warm country with temperature ranging 30-35 C. I just follow the manufacturer's recommended pressure.
We should eally pay more attention to the tire manufacturers ecommendations than the automobile manufacturers recommendation.
It's already been proven that a Vehicle Manufacturer can recommend a pressure that can easily result in dangerous conditions and accidents.
I don't think I've ever heard of a tire manufacturer messing up on their maximum inflated safety pressure. The worst that can happen even if you ran all tires at the absolute maximum pressure is you would have a firmer maybe bumpy ride, you could wear out the center a little faster than the complete width of the tread and you would be able to hold the maximum load with the vehicle without fear of overloading or overheating a tire. So not the worst things in the world.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
We should eally pay more attention to the tire manufacturers ecommendations than the automobile manufacturers recommendation.
It's already been proven that a Vehicle Manufacturer can recommend a pressure that can easily result in dangerous conditions and accidents.
I don't think I've ever heard of a tire manufacturer messing up on their maximum inflated safety pressure. The worst that can happen even if you ran all tires at the absolute maximum pressure is you would have a firmer maybe bumpy ride, you could wear out the center a little faster than the complete width of the tread and you would be able to hold the maximum load with the vehicle without fear of overloading or overheating a tire. So not the worst things in the world.

You should NEVER run at maximum pressure, unless you are running at maximum weight. When running at maximum pressure, without the weight, your contact area is decreased. Depending on how under maximum weight you are running it could be a significant difference. Less contact patch means less grip, and longer stopping distances.

Yes, Back in the 90’s Ford got in trouble for running Explorers and Rangers at less pressure than Firestone recommended for their OEM tires. They both paid for it, significantly! They will not make that mistake again.

I run around 38-40 based on what I have observed Tire wear wise and average load we run.

I have pushed it up more when towing, but don’t tow even close to Max regularly. Maybe 4-5K at most. Most of the time is a small metal yard trailer and around 2K loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360