Tired of looking at wires!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

littlet23

Reaction score
I have a 2003 expedition 5.4L V8 runs great until a couple days ago when my memory seat stopped working. The mirrors prior to the memory seat quitting would ratchet like crazy if I unlocked the truck with the fob, since the memory seat quit so did the mirrors. I can manually adjust the seat just the memory part and the going back and forth when you first start it aren't working, now 2 days later the power is staying on in the interior after you take the key out the clock windows, sunroof all stay on, as well the automatic headlights quit working. So far I have checked all the fuses checked for a bad wiring under the passenger,driver and rear driver sills, 4 hrs of checking wires none seemed bad all the splices were shrink wrapped...... I'm stumped I dont know what the next step is my local ford dealer charges 105 an hr and wants 85 just to look at it... Any help would be appreciated.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your mechanically inclined you could get the factory shop manual on dvd and troubleshoot the problem yourself.

Bedrck will probably chime in with the link...

The splices are not shrink wrapped, they used a product termed heat shrink tubing that reduces its diameter when heated. Pretty cool invention if you ask me.

Last edited:
B

bedrck46

Ford workshop manual on DVD. Can be obtained from seller "morpheousking" on e-bay. Cost about $20.00 Much better than Clymer, Haynes or Chilton and also includes wiring diagrams

Don't waste your money on a Clymer, Haynes or Chilton Manual.
It is well worth the $20.00 just make sure you get the DVD for your year as the seller has different DVD's for different years

OP
OP
L

littlet23

Reaction score
I did try looking for the Purple wire but the only splits from the driver side to the 3rd row seating was near the very front and was wrapped in heat shrink that splice looked sealed... I am not super savvy with the tech stuff being a girl but if given step by step instructions I can usually handle the job.

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the bad spot everyone is having problems with is further up, under the kickpanel beside the emergency brake. Did you find the splice where two wires merge into one?

OP
OP
L

littlet23

Reaction score
I found the splice for the purple it was 3 going into 1 it was right at the front C of the sill, it was wrapped in black tubing with what looked like a clear glue sealing it. The outer black mesh stuff that the wires were wrapped in was damp and I left that out over night and all the wires open to dry it out.

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sounds like it. From what everyone is saying water pools there and the wires corrode and short. Redo the connections and tie or tape it up so it won't rest in the channel.