Tires '18 Expedition Limited 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn’t sweat it. Those tires will be fine for a couple years at least if they ride good now. I’d ditch them if they were already giving fits. No need to waste resources.

OP
OP
D

DenSanAZ

Reaction score
Thanks to those who replied, I decided to replace the new Tier 3 tires. Pirelli Scorpions II have been ordered, going on Weds for $950 total. I'm going to check eBay and try to sell the like-new Sailun Altrezzo tires for local pickup only, maybe I'll get a few hundred bucks out of them. Discount Tire is replacing the tires, perhaps they'd buy the old ones as Artie suggested.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018, Limited with 22” rims came with Hankooks. Had two tires with slow leaks, one repairable, one replaced during the first 12k miles, dealer reported a small bubble in the sidewall on one tire at 29k miles. I elected to replace all four tires, Pirelli Verde A/S plus II. I am thrilled with these tires. Steering is more responsive, slight increase in mpg’s, they are slightly quieter and I anticipate that will have better wet performance than the OEM Tire.
I have pulled my 4500lbs boat with the Pirellis and they performed in an excellent manner. Found best price in these tires at Sam’s Club. (I do not work for Pirelli or Sam’s Club!).
Owned 2008 Expedition, 20” rims and was not satisfied with Michelin LTX M/S. These were an older generation tire than the current model. These tires did not track well when pulling my boat and mpg’s were 2 less than the OEM tires.
Note that Michelin only specifies LTX Premier for the 4th gen with 22@ rims.
There have been complaints of poor tread life with this tire, although I think Michelin May have addressed that through a design change. The Michelin Premiers cost about $170 more than the Pirellis. I like Michelin’s, but I would not hesitate to stick with this Pirelli model for my 18 Expy. Let’s see how they hold up over time...

OP
OP
D

DenSanAZ

Reaction score
My 2018, Limited with 22” rims came with Hankooks. Had two tires with slow leaks, one repairable, one replaced during the first 12k miles, dealer reported a small bubble in the sidewall on one tire at 29k miles. I elected to replace all four tires, Pirelli Verde A/S plus II. I am thrilled with these tires. Steering is more responsive, slight increase in mpg’s, they are slightly quieter and I anticipate that will have better wet performance than the OEM Tire.
I have pulled my 4500lbs boat with the Pirellis and they performed in an excellent manner. Found best price in these tires at Sam’s Club. (I do not work for Pirelli or Sam’s Club!).
Owned 2008 Expedition, 20” rims and was not satisfied with Michelin LTX M/S. These were an older generation tire than the current model. These tires did not track well when pulling my boat and mpg’s were 2 less than the OEM tires.
There have been complaints of poor tread life with this tire, although I think Michelin May have addressed that through a design change. The Michelin Premiers cost about $170 more than the Pirellis. I like Michelin’s, but I would not hesitate to stick with this Pirelli model for my 18 Expy. Let’s see how they hold up over time...
Thanks for the info. I did look at Michelin tires, they were rated well but did have poor tread life. I also looked at driving comfort and the Pirellis were rated well for that. Just after I ordered the Pirelli (they go on on Wed) I went through the car wash, turned onto the street quickly, and, with wet tires, the cheap tires were literally sliding sideways through my turn! Verified my reasons for spending $1k. It doesn't rain much in Phoenix but when it does, it pours and the roads are slick!

OP
OP
D

DenSanAZ

Reaction score
I had Hankook on my '16 Explorer I traded in, it had 41k miles in this original tires and they probably had another 10k miles to go. Never had an issue with them.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018, Limited with 22” rims came with Hankooks
The Hankook Dynapros that came with my 22s are utter trash. I have had 5 flats in 2 years...only 1 of which could be repaired. I am just waiting for ANY of them to be old enough to justify pulling the whole set. Then I will be loading up some Pirellis.

OP
OP
D

DenSanAZ

Reaction score
The Hankook Dynapros that came with my 22s are utter trash. I have had 5 flats in 2 years...only 1 of which could be repaired. I am just waiting for ANY of them to be old enough to justify pulling the whole set. Then I will be loading up some Pirellis.
Mine are 20", I wonder what the original tires were when it was new.

KJ-Idaho

Reaction score
I too went with continental terrain ATs. (22”)

quiet, handle well on highway and curvy roads. so much better than the Hankook highways.

discount tire had a good sale going, to boot.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed. Also wore pretty fast, IMO. Just put on a new set of Yoko Parada Spec X in 22.