tires and wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sawyer

Reaction score
How about some recommendations on tire and wheel brands? I have the nationals on now, hate them. I had BFG AT on my Rodeo, loved them, but are they too loud on the EXPY? I like Discount Tires, they seem fair, don't try to get "extra" services out of me. thanks, S oh ya, and I love the pics you guys put up, they are so helpful.:cool:

Randy

Reaction score
I have Michelin LTX M/S's mounted on mine and they wear very well. Road noise doesn't seem to be a problem (family members don't complain).

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Firestone Destination LEs. (I think that's what they are) They're a lot better than the Contitracks. Then again, anything is better than those piece of craps.

From what I understand, pretty much anything that is all terrain will be "loud." Don't know if DiscountTires has this, but you could go over to Tirerack.com and look at the ratings. Though it isn't the most scientific method, it'll give you a pretty good idea :) Good luck.

jsbaker

Reaction score
Stay away from the Pathfinder line of tires at discount tire. I currently have them on my 98 and they are absolute trash. My mom had them on her 2004 silverado ex. cab and they had nothing but problems with them too, they are not back to the General tires. I have the BF goodrich a/t tires on my 99 Z71 and I can say they are very loud on the freeway. As soon as I get my balljoints changed on the expedition I am going for the Michelin LTXs, it may be $600+ but they are what most people reccomend for our vehicles.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally I tend to stick to the name-brands, not the store/discountbrands. Tires play a huge role in how your vehicle goes/stops/corners, and I don't want to skimp.

Especially with performance tires, which are often perfectly (or nearly so) balanced...so you need minimal balancing weights once they are mounted on the wheel.

Think of it this way...they last many years/miles, so if you amortize the cost of the tire over it's service life, the cost difference is minimal...and a bit easier to justify.

carp2000

Reaction score
I have 36X12.50X16.5 military spec hummer tires (wrangler) and they rock I climbed mountains in WS-Virginia and slung the mud in the mud pit even when the mud & water was up to the door handles. I only have a 3" body lift and they fit great

Last edited:

danketchpel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just replaced the original Continentals (got ~73,000 out of them) with a set of Michelin Cross Terrains. So far I'm impressed at how much nicer they ride. I haven't had a chance to get any fuel mileage numbers yet, hopefully it won't go down. I'd say the road noise is slightly less than the Contis.

Here's some info I discovered while doing my research. The Cross Terrains come in three different treadwear ratings. The H series are rated at 420, the S series are rated at 520 and, what is not readily apparent, the S series with the raised white lettering (ORWL) are rated at 700! It's not possible to decipher this on Michelin's website so I called their customer support and was told that.

I bought mine at Costco and sure enough, if you get the raised white letter version it lists a treadwear rating of 700 on the sticker.

This explains why some people report having them wear out around 40,000 miles while others report getting near 80,000 miles out of them.

My second choice would have been the LXT M/S as many people report being very happy with them. The reason I didn't go with them is they are supposed to ride a bit harder because they are built stronger for better off-road durability.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thought I'd put my 2 cents in...I have a set of BFG AT's on my 2000 Expedition and haven't noticed any road noise...nor had any problems. I don't by tires or wheels anywhere but my local Discount Tire store. One comment I will make....in my honest opinion...don't go cheap on tires. I've tried 5 different types of truck/off road type tires and I don't think you'll be the BFG's. While some tires might be a little quieter...remember...these are trucks! Maybe they are a little noiser; I've got flowmaster custom exhaust on mine so I don't hear it. But I think everyone will agree that you shouldn't skimp on tires. Bite the bullet a little and get decent tires and you'll be happier in the long run.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69