TIRES for before lift? and after lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xtamer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know there's a thread out there talking about this but I cant seem to find it. :sad72: I have a stock 03 expedition (2nd Gen) 4x4 w/ stock rims. in the process of ordering a truxxx lift kit (~3/2) but in the mean time id like to get tires.

whats the biggest size I could run stock? whats the biggest I could run lifted? what do you think would be good for both? 295/70/17's was what I was thinking. but will that be too wide or tall to run stock? I recall an X on FTE with the truxxx LK that had 315/70/17.

I could wait until I lift it to get into tires but here in MI theres snow falling and i'd rather be the person pulling others out of the ditch not visa versa.

thanks for reading and as always any advice/help is appreciated

rwtqah.jpg

Last edited:

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ran a 285 70 17 (33s)on stock rims with a little rubbing stock height. Still running them with lift. I could fit 35s. But think the 33s are a good size. I just got a flat and was able to use theoriginal spare. Not surei could've done that if I had
35s

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Consider buying my stock wheels, getting Artic Artimaxx snow tires for the winter; then when you get your lift you can get those new tires on the truck :D

I ran my 295/70/17s on stock height for a few days prior to my lift

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
The general rule of thumb here is to start with the most limiting factors and logically move through the project.

The idea is to avoid having to back track and re-do something because of poor planning. You don't want to end up saying "now that I added the lift, those tires look too small" or even worse, "I should have put in more lift, those tires rub every time I hit a bump".

OP
OP
X

xtamer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
very good point tonydiv. that's part of the reason for the thread. its makes more sense to lift it then get tires but im impatient.

DetroitDarin- I like how your 295's look with the lift. do you remember how they rode at stock height? how much do you want for your old rims?

tallsville- I like how your 33's look but personally I think id like 34's on mine.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
very good point tonydiv. that's part of the reason for the thread. its makes more sense to lift it then get tires but im impatient.

DetroitDarin- I like how your 295's look with the lift. do you remember how they rode at stock height? how much do you want for your old rims?

tallsville- I like how your 33's look but personally I think id like 34's on mine.

Get your lift first. Waiting and doing it right will be way worth it in the end. Unless you have a lot of money burning a hole in your pocket...

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Rode fine. :) Didn't have many complaints; but installed them only because I knew the lift was a week away.

I'd take pretty much whatever I could get I guess. Trust me on those articmax tires thought. My ex has them on her F150 SCrew and that truck is fantastic in the snow; rivals my previous Subaru Legacy GT on blizzaks. :D

OP
OP
X

xtamer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
first lift then tires then fun. there's this set of Nitto Grapplers M/T on CL but I wish they were A/T.
darin do you have any pics?