Tires p275 60 17 for 2002 Eddie Bauer 2WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xowner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So wanting the stay with the door sticker and the tire size already on the SUV, I see a very limited number of options for the size P275 60 17 that goes on this model...

Not only does the tire size seem uncommon so I am finding the rims.... chrome finish 5 lug.

The spare was missing on the vehicle when I bought it, so I got a tire / rim from the junk yard, 17 x 7.5 J that had a 265 70 17 tire on it... for now I am leaving the tire on there until I get my new set of 4. I'd like to tow maybe up to 4500 lbs and like things all in factory spec as the labels, limits, and handling then all fall in line... easier to read and factor.

Does anyone have a recommendation to go with besides these hard to find, limited selection tire size?

thanks,

OP
OP

0xowner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stock for which models?

My door sticker has p275/60R17 SL on 17X7.5J rims

I really do not see many other expeditions with my rim style... Chrome finish, 5 lugs, 150 ft lbs lug nuts

When I checked out ford parts, it seems that many these rims were optioned installed at dealer... But why would the sticker list this accurately (from what I see)?

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
P275/60-17 is not uncommon - where & how exactly are you looking?

Discount Tire has about 9, Tire Rack 9, Pep Boys 11, Sears 6, Summit Racing 7, National Tire & Battery 9, WalMart 8, etc. I was not able to find an online retailer with less than 6 different choices. Black side wall, raised white letter, outlined white letter, mud & snow, all terrain, so on.

I was able to find P275/60R17 tires from Goodyear, Hankook, Yokohama, Kumho, General, Firestone, Continental, Falken, Nitto, Bridgestone, BF Goodrich, Cooper, Maxxis, Dayton, Kelly, Pirelli, Mastercraft, Nexen, and a whole bunch of unknown Asian companies which I'd probably avoid.

If you go up or down in width or aspect ratio or both, then yes, selection quantity will change, as will price, but thats contrary to what you say you want, which is to stick to whats printed on the door jamb.

killav

Reaction score
I ran into this same issue when getting my 2002 Expedition with the sport package out of storage a few months ago. There are tires out there that size, but it seems the prices are slightly higher for tires in the 275/60/17 size.

So, I started surfing craigslist, and ran across some 275/65/17 Michelin LTX-MS2's that were nearly brand new. Paid $300 for them. These are well over 900 after you add in shipping for these tires on tirerack.com brand new. Best tires I have ever owned.

It made my speedometer dead accurate, but my odometer is off exactly 3 percent. I can live with 3 less miles showing on the odometer for every 100 miles I drive.

Attachments

• IMG_1903a.jpg
    IMG_1903a.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1905.jpg
    IMG_1905.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1920a.jpg
    IMG_1920a.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
OP
OP

0xowner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A few notes....

1) when I do reach out to tire shops... major chains... they all try to steer me away from 275 60 17 all season tires.... one argument is that if I have a blow out, then what choices I have in some hoe dunk town.... well, better to get the same 90 buck rim from junk yard and place a regular size tire on it... maybe buy 5 and plan the 5 tire rotation... if i want to keep it for 75k

2) trying to find a spare, which was missing, sucked as no shells at the local junk yards had models with this size tire / rim / etc 17x7.5J .... so I was wondering then, what gave on the application / specs / package ... that is years and packages sold having this size / rim combo. my is an 02 EB RWD... i guess I would have thought it was common, but seems really not to be...

3) seeing what others may have used.... yep the Michelin LTX's are an awesome line... have 4 on my explorer and they have been solid and handle great.... have 54 k on them and still at 6/32nds... rotate every 3 and balance every 6k... i hope to get another 20k min

4) now that i've owned this expedition for 3 weeks ... while owning explorers for 15 years
... looking over the vehicle vs other models... I see my restrictions... this 02 EB 4.6 RWD can not take tow bars up front (frame has no bolt holes) ... no factory towing.... trans code of u not e.... not sure yet about a trans coller.... then what really is this vehicle???.... ok, bumper tow, pull the 2 wave runners and keep it on the street.... sorry finally realized the machine I bought a bargain price ... so kicked it out with specs to see what others have done with their soccer parent SUV in attempting to make it more .... can get a factory reese tow kit from junk yard for 90.... but left with 4 wire harness

5) not going to spend more than 600 to 700 for tires... 800 with spare ... specs call for All Season... yep soccer parent package...

6) figuring out what all models / packages are using this size or rim...

7) also wanting to document some aspects in the process for other expy newbies that will find themselves in that same situation....

sorry just documenting thoughts, facts, restrictions, etc

Last edited: