To re-engine, or not to re-engine? That is the question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bilsto

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this a lot over the last couple years. My Expedition is in really good shape, everything works, it's a stout truck. The transmission was rebuilt a couple years ago and probably has only about 15,000 miles on it. But, it's approaching 252,000 miles on the original engine. The engine is running fine right now, but I can't expect it to keep going forever. So if it comes down to it in the near future, what would you do? Re-engine, or just buy something newer?

My thought is that what I'd pay for an engine is roughly the same as what I'd pay for a comparable replacement SUV, but I don't know that for sure. Plus, getting a newer vehicle means starting the repair and upgrade process from scratch, which will mean even more money.

I've heard that a replacement Jasper 4.6L engine could cost me about $5,000.00. Anyone here have any thoughts on this, or personal experience?

Robert Wagner

Reaction score
I too have been thinking about underwriting a power train overhaul.

A limiting factor, in my opinion, has to be how to address unattainable parts. For example, the discontinued fuel tank. Being made of plastic, they are developing cracks in their old age. Consequently, the tank will fail its evaporator test which, in my part of Texas, can prohibit the vehicle's registration's renewal. I understand there are ways to game the aforementioned system and the issue becomes moot once the vehicle reaches age 25 (as Texas then waives the emission test) but what would one do if the tank's developing cracks advance to the point where fuel leaks (as opposed to just fuel vapors)?

Trying to develop/research a "get well plan" for my Expedition is a primary reason why I joined this forum as it may provide insights into what other issues are in store for my decades old ride.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bilsto

Bilsto

Reaction score
Keep running what you have. Keep the oil clean and maintenance up to date. The 4.6 2V will go a long time.

Oh definitely. I'm just considering it in light of catastrophic engine failure one day. I wouldn't consider a preemptive swap.

OP
OP
Bilsto

Bilsto

Reaction score
I too have been thinking about underwriting a power train overhaul.

A limiting factor, in my opinion, has to be how to address unattainable parts. For example, the discontinued fuel tank. Being made of plastic, they are developing cracks in their old age. Consequently, the tank will fail its evaporator test which, in my part of Texas, can prohibit the vehicle's registration's renewal. I understand there are ways to game the aforementioned system and the issue becomes moot once the vehicle reaches age 25 (as Texas then waives the emission test) but what would one do if the tank's developing cracks advance to the point where fuel leaks (as opposed to just fuel vapors)?

Trying to develop/research a "get well plan" for my Expedition is a primary reason why I joined this forum as it may provide insights into what over issues are in store for my decades old ride.

Wow, I didn't know that about the tank. I guess your only option there is a fuel tank refurbishment. There's gotta be someone who can do that.

Glad we don't have vehicle inspections and tests in my county.

Dan Faoro

Reaction score
I went through this a few years back on my 2009 F-150 with the 5.4. The truthk had at that time 185,000 miles on it and it was having cam phaser issues which were repaited once and then it threw a rod. I had several courses of action. Do a head job, which may or may not fix everything, install a Jasper long-block for around $6,500 or install a new factory Ford long-block for right at $10,000. I opted for the Ford engine which came with a full one year warranty. The truck was in such great shape it was worth. I'm now at 225,000 miles and original transmission, all going strong.

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep running what you have. Keep the oil clean and maintenance up to date. The 4.6 2V will go a long time.
Second that... My son-in-law has my '03 F150 4.6 that I sold him 7 years ago. He has almost 300K on it now and it still runs fine. I think the 4.6 is the better engine.

Robert Hill

Reaction score
Had need to replace 5.4 engine on my 98 EB at 156k; the shop found a replacement with 114k miles; they also installed a new radiator, hoses, water pump plugs and oil cooler. Cost was about $5100. The replacement engine has been flawless after 12k miles so far.

brhulen

Reaction score
I recently saw a 4.6 out of a 1998 Mark VIII for sale and was wondering if that is a possible transplant for the 97 Expedition with the 4.6?

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I recently saw a 4.6 out of a 1998 Mark VIII for sale and was wondering if that is a possible transplant for the 97 Expedition with the 4.6?
There are 2 different 4.6 engines. Romeo and Windsor.

You can tell the difference by a big R or W on the block somewhere.

They would both need to be W or both R for a quick swap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65