To re-engine, or not to re-engine? That is the question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric in Wyoming

Reaction score
Bruh - our '97 5.4 EB 4x4 just pulled a 5x8 enclosed trailer full of camping gear from Jackson Hole WY, through Yellowstone National Park, to I-90 in Livingston MT, and we're currently staying in Dickinson ND for a couple days. We tripped 304,000 miles along the way. You got plenty of time to hunt down another engine.

I'm in the same boat, really - thinking about getting a later model PI engine to freshen up and have ready for when something major happens to this one. But then I'm also thinking line boring the block, gapless rings, ceramic-coated bearings, main cap & head studs, helicoil all the spark plug threads before one has the chance to blow, Lightning/Harley cams....

OP
OP
Bilsto

Bilsto

Reaction score
Bruh - our '97 5.4 EB 4x4 just pulled a 5x8 enclosed trailer full of camping gear from Jackson Hole WY, through Yellowstone National Park, to I-90 in Livingston MT, and we're currently staying in Dickinson ND for a couple days. We tripped 304,000 miles along the way. You got plenty of time to hunt down another engine.

I'm in the same boat, really - thinking about getting a later model PI engine to freshen up and have ready for when something major happens to this one. But then I'm also thinking line boring the block, gapless rings, ceramic-coated bearings, main cap & head studs, helicoil all the spark plug threads before one has the chance to blow, Lightning/Harley cams....

Wow, you've got grander designs than me! Good to know you're up to 304k. Maybe I'll get there too.

Eric in Wyoming

Reaction score
@Eric in Wyoming "getting a later model PI engine" I am too new to this forum to decipher the "PI" in PI engine. Could I trouble you to enlighten me here? (Wild guess police interceptor...)

I thought the same thing too at first. In 1999, the 5.4 got a few upgrades to address some initial issues. The spark plug holes were beefed up to reduce the risk of blowing a plug through the hood(six threads instead of four), and the combustion chambers were reworked from an open-chamber to a closed-chamber. There are other changes as well, but in the end they bumped power up from 230 to 260.

The PI means "Performance Improved", or something to that effect.

Robert Wagner

Reaction score
I thought the same thing too at first. In 1999, the 5.4 got a few upgrades to address some initial issues. The spark plug holes were beefed up to reduce the risk of blowing a plug through the hood(six threads instead of four), and the combustion chambers were reworked from an open-chamber to a closed-chamber. There are other changes as well, but in the end they bumped power up from 230 to 260.

The PI means "Performance Improved", or something to that effect.
Thanks!

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
helicoil all the spark plug threads before one has the chance to blow,
This is not needed as long as spark plugs are tightened properly. They always blow after they have someone change the spark plugs. The main plugs to go are cylinder 3 and 4 both the hardest to change so they don't get tightened properly. Not a coincidence.

Would the PI stand for police Interceptor?

Samuel Jewell

Reaction score
I thought I'd chime in on this due to my recent financial blow! Last may, I blew the transmission and was faced with a choice of scrapping a nice truck that I liked or forking out $2K for a trans rebuild. I chose the rebuild and told the GF then, "well, I'm obligated to a motor now. Too much to walk away" This spring my 297K 5.4L gave up the passenger's side cam.

HS buddy of mine has a shop and found me a 115K mile motor. Motor, installation, new gaskets, water pump, radiator, hoses, PS pump, upper and lower ball joints and new sway bar links. Total bill, $5,200. Then it needed new tires so ~900 for a set of new BFG AT's. So now, counting original purchase price of $2500, I have a $10,600, 23yo truck with a high retail value of ~4k.

If I went to buy a replacement then I'd spend ~10K on something equivalent that I would have absolutely no clue about any of that and potentially would be making payments on a new rig AND any of the above repairs.

Good Lord willing, all of my debts will be paid off in 5yrs, house included and then I'll think about a newer ride! (if you wanna hear God laugh tell him your plans).

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Well I found some early rust on the bottom seam of my passenger front door. ****** me off. Alreayhave some popping out on rockers.
That makes my decision easy.

Next high ticket item that goes I’ll fix and sell.

Wouldn’t mind finding another Eddie Bauer 4x4 that’s rust free as replacement.