To the Max or Not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twernst

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Previous max owner, platinum, 2018; unfortunately, now driving a grand Cherokee looking to get back into the expedition. Wondering if any of you have gone from the max to the normal size or the normal size to the max.

Please share your opinions.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our current Expy is our first and our biggest SUV prior to that was a Honda CRV, so the normal was absolutely spacious when we bought it. No way we'd ever need a Max. I also wanted to do some mild off roading and the extra the Max hangs over the back end seemed like it'd be a problem. In the end I doubt it would have been an issue and boy did we fill that cargo area up with 4 aduts, a dog and a week's worth of luggage. Had a few times we wished we'd gone for the Max, but not always. If you were used to the Max you might want to go that route. I imagine it's hard to go backwards when it comes to cargo space.

Air00Max

Reaction score
Big question is what size family you have, different things you would expect to haul with you, and how often you think you'd need the extra space. With two kids playing sports, traveling for various events, etc. I am thankful that we went with the Max. My opinion is it's better to have the room if you need it than to not have it and wish for it.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wanted a MAX, Coming from an Excursion. But when I was looking, only black on black was available. So I went with a standard.
I don't regret it at all, as I would never do in my Platinum, what I did in my Excursion. The extra room in the back is nice, for me only to get the 3rd row further away from the back of the vehicle. But unlike the Excursion, we are only talking 12 inches.

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3 kids, 2 dogs. Max for us, came from a Flex before.
Wife drives the Max, I have an Explorer.
Personally, I prefer the smaller size, so for me I'd opt for the SWB, if we already had the family hauler covered.

We had a SWB Wagoneer for a rental in CA last week, gave us a feel of how the SWB Expy would be. It fits, but it was nice to get back home to our MiniBus

prenticect

Reaction score
Add to the existing comments. I had a normal expy. myself and my 3 boys. That was perfect for us and sports and everything. I do use the roof rack at times. Got married and added 2 more boys. I had to get a bed extender for trips. Then the expy has some issues so I decided to get a new one, I went with the EL (old version of the MAX name). That was a HUGE for us. Suitcases could stay in the truck and the other beach stuff would go on the bed extender. My expy fits in the garage, but end to end. I think they make garages too small anyway, but it fits. When my boys leave the home.. I will be getting a truck... so unsure what EXPY I would get. I use the expy as a truck as a sheet of plywood fits in the EL, if you put all the seats down. That is a big plus for me. I like the new Timberline trim.. but they do not offer it in the MAX.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you go on longer trips, get the Max for the fuel tank alone. The shorty has a much smaller gas tank.
I'll never understand buying a large SUV, but then wanting it "smaller". I wish they offered a MAX MAX, I'd trade mine today.....