Torque Converter Selection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys here is a little video I shot of what a performance converter can do for you (or in this case not do for you). This video was shot to show what I consider to be a converter that is way too loose for the exped. See the video below.....

http://www.lockardandwhite.com/~storage/Matt/wrong converter.wmv

I will make another video with my tighter converter when I get a chance.

Matt

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice video, thanks.

What was the stall speed on it?

I've got a Procharger and was thinking about a slightly higher stall speed TC since I need rpm to make boost.

But on the other hand, since I tow, I believe my tranny fluid would really take some punishment with a higher stall speed.

What do you think green?

OP
OP
G

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That was a custom build that stalled about 2700 RPMs and is built to handle 500HP. That was based on a 13 inch (stock size) converter. My personal opinion is not more than 2200 stall on a 13 inch converter in our heavy trucks. The smaller the converter the more stall you can have before paying for it with efficiency losses. A good converter would be one based off a mustang converter which is 12 or 11.5 inch and could stall around 2400 and not pay much penality with slippage. This would need to have a custom front cover so you could run a full size lock-up clutch. You could also bite the bullet and get a precision 10.5 inch with a triple lockup clutch and pay $950 like I just did. In my opinion the right converter should never gain anything by locking up during part throttle acceleration. If you have to do this your converter is way too loose (like the new 3v engines). Cruising lockup is okay and adds efficiency.
Send me a PM if you need a converter. I have a brand new 13 inch that has a different stator than the one in the video. It should stall 2200 to 2300 and be more efficient than the one above it is also furnace brazed and able to handle 500HP. I am asking $250 for that one. I would like to see someone test it out.

The converter in the video will be coming out next weekend and will either be sold as-is (would be good in an f150 that doesn't tow but still a little loose IMO) or I can have the stator changed to stall like the new 13 inch I have by a local guy). Both converters are for the 4r70w only......
Let me know guys,
Matt

Matt

BassQuake9000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually I'm getting into the market for one. I was wondering what you thought the outcome would be. That is of course, if I have a 4r70w.