Torque Converter Shudder at 35-45mph

How did you fix your torque converter shudder?

• New tranny/torque converter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was a suspension issue

• It was a bad u-joint

• I got rid of the truck

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmm5157

Reaction score
I voted for the plug fix. Had similar issues, seems to shudder under light loads 35-40mph, 60-65 mph. If you do a hard accelerate it doesn't happen. Only under conditions where tranny seems between to gears, almost like driving stick shift when RPMs are on border between two gears. Tried everything, mechanic couldn't believe it was plugs since no codes were registered by computer, no warning light, etc.

In my case, I did the dreaded spark plugs and coils replacement ( and lucky for me it turned out the change was easy) but it didn't fix the shudder. Wasn't until that point that I went to tyranny fluid swap. I didn't think a $5 bottle of Friction additive could get rid of that awful and embarrassing shudder, but it did.

Still glad I changed the plugs, as I'd read it does cause shudder for some, but that wasn't the issue with my truck.

PaulT

Reaction score
Well, unfortunately I had to replace my tranny - got stuck in ice/snow 2 yrs ago and did the stupid thing we all did with tanny's of years ago - quick shift rev/fwd while rocking back/fwd -bad idea for the newer tranny's! So I was pretty sure it wasn't torque converter, did try the friction additive - no help there.

Jeremy W

Reaction score
I feel like I got lucky on this issue... I replaced all of the coil packs, had the cash and didn't want to troubleshoot at the time, and the shudder was gone.

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have replaced all plugs, trans fluid and filter change, all cop's, radiator, and oil filter adapter. I know not all pertains to the shudder. Still stuttering and not accelerating or shifting correctly. Went to exhaust shop yesterday to have backpressure tested. Drivers side cat converter plugged, passenger side close to being plugged. Hopefully after cat replacement it will be good to go

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire