Torsion bar & shocks info help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KyOatey

Reaction score
Hi guys first time poster here. I'm hoping some of the guys with experience, such as Expeditionary, can help me decide which way to go here.

First, the questions:
How stiff are the 7700 torsion bars vs the standard torsion bars?

Once I upgrade to stiffer torsion bars, do I still need to use the coilover shocks (Strutmasters), or can I use something else, like a Bilstein?

Background detalis:
I have a 1998 Eddie Bauer 4x4 that I have replace the air suspension with Strutmasters stuff. The front is too soft and nosedives and wallows all over the place on turns. After reading on here about the softer torsion bars of the air suspension, I know I need to upgrade to stiffer torsion bars. I am leaning towards getting the 7700's. I generally like a stiff ride, but don't want a buckboard. I am also wondering, once I get stiffer bars are the coil springs still needed, or is that something I can change to adjust the ride quality? I want a tight but smooth ride that handles well. I like a good off-road suspension, but realistically, 99% of my driving is on city streets and highways.

Additional question (opinions):
Which drives better, a higher spring rate (stiffer) and medium shocks, or a softer (standard) spring and firmer shocks?

TRTLSLO

Reaction score
7700 bars are STIFF! They ride like my friends, unloaded, f350 SD. I replaced my worn out stock bars with them and wished I would have gotten the standard ones. Once you replace the air-ride bars, you can use standard type shocks up front. You will have to buy longer than stock shocks tho, as the air ride mounts are higher. (2" IIRC). Or you can weld new shock mounts in the stock location. Stiff springs + soft shocks is a no-no. It overworks the shocks and causes premature failure. I'd go with stock bars and firmer shocks (probably bilstein if I were to do it again)

OP
OP
K

KyOatey

Reaction score
Thanks

I saw your post in the nick of time. I had just ordered the 7700 bars five minutes earlier. Luckily it was soon enough for me to cancel them and order the standard bars. I think you're right - standard bars and firm shocks should be the best combination (unless I really wanted to lift it). By the way, if you happen to find a part number for the longer Bilsteins that fit, please let me know. Thanks.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Check out the Rancho RS9000 shocks. They make them in a size for trucks with a suspension lift. These things are 9 way adjustable, so you can dial in the type of ride that you are looking for.

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can use any shock you want to as long as you order it with a 4 inch lift

OP
OP
K

KyOatey

Reaction score
Jacks3am - Are you saying the shock mounts are 4" longer on the air ride Expedition (1st gen)?? TRTLSLO seems to think they are 2" longer.

I am not lifting my Expedition, though I will probably set the bars so the front is close to level.

I have liked Bilstein on other vehicles and it's what I have on the rear, so that's what I'd probably go with. If anyone has a good part number for either the B6, 4600 or 5100, I'd sure appreciate it.

OP
OP
K

KyOatey

Reaction score
Tasca doesn't have torsion bars

Well, it turns out Tasca Parts can't get the torsion bars any more (even though they appear on the website). Looks like my best option is going to be finding the standard torsion bars at an auto salvage place.

I'm still wondering how much further apart the shock mounts are on the air-ride models vs the standard suspension models. I may just have to measure the distance and call Bilstein to see which 5100 fits. If anyone has helpful info, I'd sure appreciate it.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Don't worry about getting shocks that are exactly right length. Shocks generally have nearly twice the travel length that the suspension does. As long as the shock doesn't bottom (or top) out, you're fine.

I still recommend the adjustable Rancho 9000.

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea I went through the air ride delima before and 4 inch lift is what you need. Those rancho RS9000's are great shocks and I believe ranch makes a 4 inch lift for gen 1 expys so I believe you can order them for the front only with a 4 inch lift.