Total engine replacement cost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Do u know anyone who's highly inclined in auto mechanics? That person can be your best bet for advice and he/she might be willing to do the swap for far less $$$

greenrover

Reaction score
First post here, new to Forum.
I had a good experience with buying a Jasper remanufactured engine a few years ago. I bought a Jasper 6.9L diesel engine for my F-250 after original motor blew at 300K. I had it installed by a Ford truck dealer, and the engine AND labor was warrantied by Jasper for 1 year. Looking at the Jasper site now, Complete gasoline engines now have 3 year/100K PARTS + LABOR WARRANTY.

I'm glad I went with Jasper because that engine developed a crack in the block near a freeze plug within that year. Heintzelman Ford and I filed a claim with Jasper and sure enough, Jasper paid for the removal, re-install, and replacement engine all at their cost. The replacement engine lasted another 100K with me until I sold the truck years later.

When considering replacing an engine, you need to determine if saving money on the front end will really be worth it or spending a little more for the peace of mind.

Especially with Expeditions and their resale value, would it be better to replace the entire vehicle with a good used Expedition or are you planning on keeping your baby regardless of whatever it's worth? A $2-3000 investment for engine will not increase the resale value at all.

Jason Tyrrell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just had my 98 in the shop a month ago for 5.4 install final bill was $5700 that was engine and all necessary components ,fluids and labor

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See their you go, blue book high value for a low mileage 97 - 99 model is under $3500.00. Well I guess it depends on the sentimental value, and what kind of shape the rest of SUV is in. It's like rebuilding a classic car, you never get back what you put in. Yet people do restorations all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is true, but look at our members that bought worn out 250k plus models that a had a bazillion problems. Maybe our forum members get lucky like I did and buy a 15 year old expedition with 64k on it. Always look for a low mileage car or truck. I've tried the other way, high mileage, real cheap. But no matter what you change, you still have a worn out, squeaky, rattly SUV. It takes a lot of searching, but the low mile ones are out there. You might pay a little more up front, but it's worth it in the long run. Always better to put on your own miles, than wonder how the past owner drove, or maintained your vehicle. It's always worked for me. I've owned over 40 cars and motorcycles in my past, the low mileage ones, have always been the nicest.

dschallmo98expo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I purchased a 98 Eddie with 138k miles on it for 650.00. Rust free Florida truck! With the understanding of rebuilding it. In the process of motor swap from a 98 5.4l to a 2001 5.4l. More bourse power and torch. I have redone the complete interior and suspension brake system exhaust Ac system rear end and tranny. Last is paint. Will have a total of 14k into it and have a new truck with no payments.

dschallmo98expo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
By the way. Reman engine from power train was 2600.00. Installation with new radiator starter altinator stearing box hoses headers and misc parts. 2500.00

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bourse power and torch, must be the new Miami vice show on Friday nights. Anybody know what time it airs tomorrow? Oh I needed that laugh!