Towing acceleration (help)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcmoss

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new 2011 4 x 4 Expediton with the heavy tow package. I was towing my 4000 lbs. trailer and noticed that it doesn't have great pickup. I put the gas to the floor on a flat roadway and still got no noticable acceleration. I am planning a trip to Colorado in a few weeks and will be towing my trailer. I just wanted to know if I should have it checked out or is this something normal. Car has 300 miles on it so it really hasn't been broken in yet. Thanks for any help.

OP
OP
D

dcmoss

Reaction score
I can't find it on the sticker. It says 5.4 3V SOHO 4X4. Do you know if I can find the gear size on the truck somewhere?

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you should have more than enough motor to tow that trailer.... I tow my 17ft boat with the 37s also have 5.4 and 3.73 gears and have no problems... maybe some of the newer gen expy guys can chime in here

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah i agree with walnuts, i towed almost 6,000lbs with my 230HP '98 5.4 and it did great in my opinion and got up to speed pretty quickly.

one thing is, doesnt ford say not to tow within the first 1000 miles? goodluck!